CARES question

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'd like to recommend an RSTV to nanny family; they have an upcoming trip that is almost all public busses etc with one car ride. Nannykid1 is 4y, 33-34lb, and I think the RSTV would be appropriate for this trip.

I'd also like to recommend a CARES. I think price would be ok since they have a few flights this year & will get several years of use between NannyKid1 & NK2. My concern is that it says it's up to 40". NK1 is just about there. Do the airlines really check his height? I'm guessing he'll grow a few inches before he hits the 40lb mark where the lap belt fits right...

TIA.

ADS

Mommy!

I can't picture the airlines having a tape measure available, let alone deciding they need to check. As far as I know the CARES harness seems to be pretty well recognized as an approved device on north american flights at least.

But you never know; hopefully some more people can chime in. :)

Carrie_R

Thanks. I wasn't too worried until the site started talking about needing letters of exemption for taller SN kids! Lol!

Mommy!

Please keep in mind I'm not a tech though. :) I've heard enough horror stories from people harassed over car seats to know anything's possible.

CTPDMom

I was about to say that a CARES harness is overkill for a 4 yo, but for a SN kiddo I understand it might be necessary depending on the SN.

I wouldn't worry about being close to or even just above 40". At all.

Carrie_R

No no, he's not SN. A bit wild, yes, but not SN lol.

I was referencing what the CARES site says, essentially, use after 40" is only for SN kids with a letter of exemption.

You think the lap belt will fit okay at 33ish pounds? I had read on here that it won't fit until 40lb? (As an aside I would really like to recommend the RSTV/Delighter/airline strap combo, but they are still working out the FAA stuff!) Hence wanting to give them the CARES option.

I think they're just going to end up taking my Maestro (in lieu of his F90,) at least this trip. Might do the RSTV for their summer vaca, when Dad was talking about checking his carseat.

CTPDMom

No no, he's not SN. A bit wild, yes, but not SN lol.

I was referencing what the CARES site says, essentially, use after 40" is only for SN kids with a letter of exemption.

You think the lap belt will fit okay at 33ish pounds? I had read on here that it won't fit until 40lb? (As an aside I would really like to recommend the RSTV/Delighter/airline strap combo, but they are still working out the FAA stuff!) Hence wanting to give them the CARES option.

I think they're just going to end up taking my Maestro (in lieu of his F90,) at least this trip. Might do the RSTV for their summer vaca, when Dad was talking about checking his carseat.

Oh, yes, ok, I misread.

A CARES harness will not contain a wild 4 year old. It's a piece of cake to open the plane seat belt whether using CARES or not. So I definitely would not buy it for THAT reason.

My ds was 3 and well below 40lbs and fit just fine in a plane seat belt.

If he's truly wild and they can manage a plane install of a harnessed seat, that would be 1st choice obviously. But if they can't/won't then I wouldn't personally bother with CARES, just be sure they have something appropriate for their destination.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC