Is it illegal?

kdkm

Is it illegal for 4 and 5.5 year olds to ride in the front seat of a vehicle in a booster seat if there are other seats available in the vehicle in Virginia? The booster is an Evenflo Big Kid, I believe.

I am having an issue at work and I want to make sure of the laws before I bring it up to my supervisor. I tried to searching but couldn't find any clear explanation.

Thanks

ADS

1mommy

It's not technically illegal, but is not recommended, if you can use that when you bring it up. Maybe look at it from the legal liability route, that they could get hurt from the airbag and the company could be sued?

http://www.cdc.gov/features/passengersafety/

And the VA DMV also talks about not putting "car seats" in the front seat... but it might be argues that boosters aren't car seats.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/safety/#programs/car_seats/faq.asp?pf=y

If you look at 2 next to last it says...

I know that a child under age 12 should not ride in the front seat. But, if the child is over age 12, are there height/weight requirements, in addition to age?
While there are no height/weight requirements, children are much safer seated and properly restrained in the back seat regardless of age or the presence of an air bag. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, putting a child in the back seat instead of the front seat reduces the risk of death by 27 percent. Given this, if a child is very small, he is safer if restrained in the back seat.

Are airbags dangerous for children?
Yes. Airbags inflate at speeds up to 200 mph. The blast can severely injure or kill passengers sitting too close. Children are more likely than adults to sit too close to an air bag. As a rule of thumb, children under age 12 should ride properly restrained in the center of the back seat.

kdkm

Why do both kids need to ride up front? Who is in the back? Just curious..

They don't need to at all. They have a van and only one or two other people that ride in the car besides the driver.

I just wanted to know about the law before I bring it up to my boss because I am really concerned about them riding up front and I am a mandated reporter because of my job.

kdkm

It's not technically illegal, but is not recommended, if you can use that when you bring it up. Maybe look at it from the legal liability route, that they could get hurt from the airbag and the company could be sued?

http://www.cdc.gov/features/passengersafety/

And the VA DMV also talks about not putting "car seats" in the front seat... but it might be argues that boosters aren't car seats.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/safety/#programs/car_seats/faq.asp?pf=y

If you look at 2 next to last it says...

Is Virginia a proper use state? Does evenflo allow the big kid to be used in front of an airbag?

Baylor

They don't need to at all. They have a van and only one or two other people that ride in the car besides the driver. I just wanted to know about the law before I bring it up to my boss because I am really concerned about them riding up front and I am a mandated reporter because of my job.

Thanks. I always follow threads like this because I know there are reasons and circumstances that it is necessary. I like to know the best case scenario. :)

And if there is no need, this is scary. :)

HaileysMommy

They don't need to at all. They have a van and only one or two other people that ride in the car besides the driver. I just wanted to know about the law before I bring it up to my boss because I am really concerned about them riding up front and I am a mandated reporter because of my job.

Mandated reporter as in reporting to child services? I am as well since I'm a social worker but I think a child riding in the front seat in a booster with an airbag is a far cry from anything that needs to be reported to child services. It's definitely not ideal but I wouldn't go as far as to call that neglect.

kdkm

Mandated reporter as in reporting to child services? I am as well since I'm a social worker but I think a child riding in the front seat in a booster with an airbag is a far cry from anything that needs to be reported to child services. It's definitely not ideal but I wouldn't go as far as to call that neglect.

Oh, no. I wouldn't report them to child services but just to report it to my supervisor that something unsafe (and possibly illegal) is happening that I am aware of. It would be up to her to decide if it warranted any further action (which I agree it doesn't, just a "what you are doing isn't safe" would do.)

kdkm

Thanks. I always follow threads like this because I know there are reasons and circumstances that it is necessary. I like to know the best case scenario. :)

And if there is no need, this is scary. :)

No problem! Yes, its very scary. Its hard because I know mom would receptive but I also feels its not place to say anything.

HaileysMommy

Oh, no. I wouldn't report them to child services but just to report it to my supervisor that something unsafe (and possibly illegal) is happening that I am aware of. It would be up to her to decide if it warranted any further action (which I agree it doesn't, just a "what you are doing isn't safe" would do.)

Ah ok! Good stuff!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC