Small convertible car seat suggestions

skipspin

I'm sort of kicking myself for selling my Coccoro. I figured he'd be too big for it by now.

My DS3 is tiny. He was 22 lb at 2 yrs and wearing 12-18 month clothes. He is rear facing in a Myride and sometimes an older Radian that's about to expire. So, I'm going to need another seat in a few months. I want something I will like forward facing until a booster. I dont care how/if it converts to a booster. I have a Nautilus but it won't last until he outgrows it (it will expire) and the one time he rode in it for 5 minutes because his seat was thrown up in he just looked so tiny and uncomfortable.

I'd prefer smaller since high height/weight limits won't matter for him. He's the last baby. Looking to spend under $200 for sure.

Im not really up on seats that have come out in the last 2 years. (Yes, bad tech. Shame on me.) Suggestions?

ADS

cookie123

Besides the Coccoro there aren't any nicer smaller car seats. Everyone is striving to be the biggest these days! I got the Peg Perego and I can't put the seat all the way back. Sad about that. People seem to like the Guide, is it? Yeah, the Guide 65.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
In my small car, the Peg convertible takes up the same space as the MyRide and we have an ARB bar making it larger front to back. Without the bar, it's similar to the space taken up by a G3/G4 Britax seat.

I've never owned a rear facing car seat/vehicle that allowed me to put the front vehicle seat all the way back (largest vehicle is mid size SUV) and can't say any of us have ever needed the vehicle seat all the way back (tallest us DH at 6' with long legs and he doesn't sit with seat all the way back either as driver or passenger). So I've never cared if it was possible to do so.

ETA: I don't know pricing on the PVC in the USA, but I'm guessing it's above your budget. Not sure if there are sales or coupons to bring it down enough.

How much is a Roundabout there? They fit in small spaces and are nice to use. Or a Highway?

cookie123

In my small car, the Peg convertible takes up the same space as the MyRide and we have an ARB bar making it larger front to back. Without the bar, it's similar to the space taken up by a G3/G4 Britax seat.

I've never owned a rear facing car seat/vehicle that allowed me to put the front vehicle seat all the way back (largest vehicle is mid size SUV) and can't say any of us have ever needed the vehicle seat all the way back (tallest us DH at 6' with long legs and he doesn't sit with seat all the way back either as driver or passenger). So I've never cared if it was possible to do so.

ETA: I don't know pricing on the PVC in the USA, but I'm guessing it's above your budget. Not sure if there are sales or coupons to bring it down enough.

How much is a Roundabout there? They fit in small spaces and are nice to use. Or a Highway?

It just seems like it needs to be back even when I ride in the passenger seat of Prius and I'm only 5' 5.5". I agree a RA is a good idea. Still I wouldn't call it small.

skipspin

The Myride fits fine in all our vehicles, I just would rather have something less bulky. I really like the Myride, though I'll admit that aesthetically I don't like the way it looks forward facing. It will be in an Expedition or GMC crew cab, so not a tight fit.

The Roundabout looks nice enough. What I wouldn't give for my expired 40# Classic RA to be safe. :( Good thing I don't have it.

The Guide actually looks pretty nice. I like the lower profile for forward facing. Too bad its grey, pink, grey, or purple. :p I will check it out in person.

xursusmaritimusx

I ended up going with the britax pavilion for my small guy. He has a short torso and is small in general. 29mo old 33" and 25lbs wears 18mo

He has 5" above his head to the top of the shell (3" in the cco)

I got mine on sale from amazon for about $230.

Takes up little space and I've been very happy with it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It just seems like it needs to be back even when I ride in the passenger seat of Prius and I'm only 5' 5.5". I agree a RA is a good idea. Still I wouldn't call it small.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you didn't need it back in your vehicle. Was just saying that with the vehicles we've owned, we've never needed it all the way back so it's just not something I've ever worried about checking.

Last edited:

skipspin

Is it bad I'm tempted by the Pavilion only because I can get it in Cowmoo and every other seat has boring covers other than very girly designs?

Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions.

MotoMommaNH

Is it bad I'm tempted by the Pavilion only because I can get it in Cowmoo and every other seat has boring covers other than very girly designs?

Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not at all. There's nothing like that perfect, velvety, gender neutral cover. But doesn't the Marathon have cowmoo too?

ebp913

The Myride fits fine in all our vehicles, I just would rather have something less bulky. I really like the Myride, though I'll admit that aesthetically I don't like the way it looks forward facing. It will be in an Expedition or GMC crew cab, so not a tight fit.

The Roundabout looks nice enough. What I wouldn't give for my expired 40# Classic RA to be safe. :( Good thing I don't have it.

The Guide actually looks pretty nice. I like the lower profile for forward facing. Too bad its grey, pink, grey, or purple. :p I will check it out in person.

The Guide is also marketed under the name Eddie Bauer XRS. You may find other colors you like better with that. I have the boring dark beige and tan from Target.

cookie123

I know. I was thinking of the RA 40. I wanted it rather than the CCO!

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply you didn't need it back in your vehicle. Was just saying that with the vehicle we've owned, we've never needed it all the back so it's just not something I've ever worried about checking.

I know. I felt the need to explain.:)

The Guide is also marketed under the name Eddie Bauer XRS. You may find other colors you like better with that. I have the boring dark beige and tan from Target.

How do you like it?

ebp913

How do you like it?

It's good but it pales in comparison to the Peg. I got it for my husband's truck where the kids don't just ride a lot because I felt silly spending $300 on another Peg for his car. I do like it but the continuous harness is taking some getting used to. It's super super small front to back which is awesome and I have it rear facing next to a rear facing CCO and it fits great. I think front to back, the 2 seats are almost equal. For what it is, I'm pleased and I know the weight will be nice for travel too. All around, I really couldn't find a seat that was narrow, small front to back, light weight, and lasted longer than the CCO except the Guide 65/XRS.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC