Flying Out of Detroit with Canadian Seat

LKuepfer

We're from Ontario but flying on Spirit Airlines out of Detroit tomorrow morning. Will I be given trouble with a Canadian Seat if I'm flying out of the US not CAN. The seat is a Scenera for my 3 yearold.

Thanks

ADS

cantabdad

You have the absolute right under FAA regulations to use the Canadian carseat, as long as the child is within its height/weight limits and you purchased a ticket for the child.

That being said, from reports by other parents on this forum, Spirit appears to be very carseat-unfriendly and the gate agents and/or flight attendants will probably try to get you to check the carseat.

Make sure you are "armed to the teeth" with FAA documentation. Section 9b of FAA Circular 120-87B (available online) states that foreign certification (including Canadian) is OK. Section 10f says that air carriers may not prohibit the use of a carseat.

LKuepfer

Thanks, Cantabdad I didn't see your response before we left but maybe its good I didn't or I would have stressed about it more than I did already. Lol I was worried because because Spirit is a no frills airline and we had to pay for all baggage and carry ons. I didn't know what they would do with carseats. Especially with my 6 yearold daughter carrying her booster to stash under the seat and her backpack. This technically gave her two personal pieces of baggage.

We could use her seat but both times they checked for the certification sticker as we were boarding. But the people we worked with while checking in bags and at our gate sure assumed we where gate checking it. I kept saying no she's going to sit in it. The funny thing is my 6 year old was carrying her back less booster and they never seemed to notice it. Except for one stewardess who told us she can't use it on the plane which I assured her we weren't going to.

And I was so thankful my 3 year old had her carseat on the plane. She did what she does on a three hour car drive she slept and was happily confined because thats how it is in a carseat. :) I could also use the side of her car seat for a head rest for myself to sleep.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC