Thought you might get a kick out of this...

ADS

LimePink

Senior Community Member
Hey, I'm impressed she was even IN a car seat!

Baby launcher definitely describes that seat well..along with a lot of other not so wonderful words!

tjham

This is my son in 1978. He was 6 months old, FF. :eek: This is pretty embarrassing.
BUT, no one else I knew even used seats at all. :rolleyes:
Guess I shouldn't be so hard on Britney.

Last edited:

JessicaS

This is my son in 1978. He was 6 months old, FF. :eek: This is pretty embarrassing.

Wow, cool pic! How can that be embarrassing? You were way ahead of the game! :)

southpawboston

everybody seems to take a somewhat righteous delight in scorning those old carseats, but based on the state-of-the-art at the time (especially when you consider that cars didn't even come with seat belts back then), they were probably a lot safer than any alternative (which was NOTHING). and kudos to parents who actually invested money into those things with the thought on making their kiddos safer when the norm back then was to just let their kiddos plop down unrestrained.

ThreeBeans

Hey, don't be embarassed. That looks like probably the best available for the time, right?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I rode in something similar to that...only mine was black and I don't think there was as much padding around the bar.

Susan

southpawboston

damn, i had *nothing* as a small child in the 70s... not even a seatbelt. i was "free to roam the cabin" as they say in airline parlance. :eek: not to mention, any vehicle back then was a death trap, straight out of the showroom floor. :(

ThreeBeans

I was born in 1980, and I had a carseat. I remember it was leather, forward facing. Brown, with an overhead shieldy thing. My mother used it for all of us right through my brother who was born in 1987 :rolleyes:

I've seen a picture on here that looked very like mine....I wonder what it was.

mcomommy

I was born in 1980, and I had a carseat. I remember it was leather, forward facing. Brown, with an overhead shieldy thing. My mother used it for all of us right through my brother who was born in 1987 :rolleyes:

I've seen a picture on here that looked very like mine....I wonder what it was.

I was born in 83 and I think I had the same seat lol

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My sister was born in 1980 and her "car seat" was a Johnny Jumper bolted to the roof of my mom's van.

I was born in 1985 and I had an OHS car seat for awhile, but there are an awful lot of pictures of me totally unrestrained. And when I was older (4-8) my sister and I used to ride totally unrestrained in the back of the truck (w/ a canopy).

Lea_Ontario

Car seats had to start somewhere, right ? Something is better than nothing, and they've just continued to improve the safety of them.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
damn, i had *nothing* as a small child in the 70s... not even a seatbelt. i was "free to roam the cabin" as they say in airline parlance. :eek: not to mention, any vehicle back then was a death trap, straight out of the showroom floor. :(

Most of the time I was free, too...but my mom had a Karmann Ghia with no backseat, just a 'shelf' and she bolted a seat to it for me! I'd kill for a picture of that :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Aw, he's cute! They didn't even have crash testing till 1981, so don't be even a bit embarrassed :rolleyes:

all together ooky

I never had a carseat. My mom brags about how she would put my on the floor of the front passenger seat when I was an infant. She thought that was safe. When I got older my favorite place to sit was the fold-down arm rest so I could see out the front window (I did wear a lap belt). As a kid I didn't know anyone who had a carseat. And I'm not THAT old. :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC