Question Should I even buy a double....??

eva_luvs_dave

I'm torn. Dh thinks since my son will be almost 3.5 when the new baby comes...it will be pointless to buy a double.

He does already not want to be in the stroller and would rather walk. However, that may change once baby arrives??

I'm looking at getting the BJCMD GT and found it for $375. Even if I were to just get the single its only $100 less *correction, $150 less*

90% of the time if I'm out with a stroller dh is not with me. Sometimes my teen daughters are though usually. I don't think a kickboard would be an option for us either. If we are in a store and he sees something he likes...he bolts.

He is a tall almost 3 y/o...always 80-90% on height. Would I get much more use out of a double to justify?

How old is your oldest in a double? Did them not wanting to sit in a stroller change when new baby came along??

Once again, any input is super appreciated!! :)

Last edited:
ADS

YinzerMama

My oldest I am pretty sure never rode in a stroller past 3 1/2. I got a double for my twins primarily so I could walk with them which turned out to never work out so well because they fought so much but I used it for zoos and amusement parks and only let it go after last summer (they were 5) when I was actually using it as a make shift triple (the old style Bobs can hold kids on the nose which is awesome - I have also used my single bob as a double)

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for?

With a gap that big it's always possible to wear the baby and push the big one, or you could get something like an old bob that the big kid can hop on in some fashion if needed. I actually managed to not use a double for the first 2 years of my twins lives, minus amusement parks (we go to the local one twice every summer) - I preferred to wear one and push one for the most part.

I hate hate hate ride-on boards personally. So awkward to me.

I am a little nervous about this coming summer with no more double - even though my oldest never needed it, it's kind of nice at the end of a long day at the park to give tired little ones some means of hopping on so you can haul ass and get out of there.

I think having a baby in a stroller is more likely to make a bigger kid want to ride but I really don't know.

eva_luvs_dave

My oldest I am pretty sure never rode in a stroller past 3 1/2. I got a double for my twins primarily so I could walk with them which turned out to never work out so well because they fought so much but I used it for zoos and amusement parks and only let it go after last summer (they were 5) when I was actually using it as a make shift triple (the old style Bobs can hold kids on the nose which is awesome - I have also used my single bob as a double)

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for?

With a gap that big it's always possible to wear the baby and push the big one, or you could get something like an old bob that the big kid can hop on in some fashion if needed. I actually managed to not use a double for the first 2 years of my twins lives, minus amusement parks (we go to the local one twice every summer) - I preferred to wear one and push one for the most part.

I hate hate hate ride-on boards personally. So awkward to me.

I am a little nervous about this coming summer with no more double - even though my oldest never needed it, it's kind of nice at the end of a long day at the park to give tired little ones some means of hopping on so you can haul ass and get out of there.

I think having a baby in a stroller is more likely to make a bigger kid want to ride but I really don't know.

I think the majority of mine would be for walks in the neighborhood/parks/track. I do plan to wear baby alot as well. I just sold my BJCE and now thinking that was a big uh oh lol. Also, next fall (2015) ds will start school.

I don't plan on amusement parks anytime soon really...nor trips to Disney lol. I just want mine for walks etc....maybe even mall/shopping trips with my teen dds.

YinzerMama

If you want to get out for walks then yes absolutely get a double. My logic with strollers is I always buy things I know will resell well... ;) The baby jogger double will resell well.

Pixels

I bought my double when #2 was on the way. #1 was 2y9mo when #2 was born. Yes, it got used, but not all that much. It got used more often as a ride for one child and stuff-carrier than as an actual double. #1 didn't care for riding in the stroller much, she would rather walk, so it really only got used as a double when I needed to have both fully contained and couldn't spare the corner of an eye to watch #1. I could have easily gotten away with no double.

#3 came along when #2 was 16mo. Then I got my money's worth out of the double. Mostly it was because they were so close in age. Partly because #2 is more of a runner than a listener and has a communication delay that doesn't help any. I probably could have gotten away with just wearing the baby and using a single for #2, but it was usually easier to just double stroller them.

My kids are 5.5, 3, and 21 months now. I haven't used the double since Halloween. I'm debating selling it.

I bought my double while still pregnant with #2 because I found an awesome sale, but my plan had been to do all my research and decision-making ahead of time but not purchase until after baby was here and I determined if I really wanted it or not. That way, if I decided that I really did want a double stroller, all I would have to do is order it.

MommyShannon

I only use the double for 2 kids if I will be running or walking for exercise where my current 3/4 year old can't just walk at their own pace. DD2 is newly 4 and rarely rides in a stroller. If I'm just walking, I also just use the Ergo for the baby and stroller for older child. I do like the double for tball/softball since I can put all their equipment on one side since we walk a ways. Then all the kids like it as a seat when they aren't playing.

BananaBoat

I bought a double when expecting #2 & #1 turned 3 right before #2 was born. I rarely used it & sold it about 6 months later for what I bought it for. On the other hand, my friend who was in the same boat still uses her double for her 5 & 2.5 year old. It's very kid-specific. My older kid prefers to walk & is able to keep close.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My second was 2.5 when my third was born. I considered a double but didn't get one and never missed it. When the baby was very little, I tended to wear him while pushing DD in the stroller. Once he got bigger, he got the stroller while she walked, or I switched off wearing him while she rode, etc.

kookaburra

DD was 3 when DS was born and we never needed a double. For DS's first year or less, I wore him and pushed DD in the stroller. By the time he was 1, DD was able to walk pretty far. When we went to the zoo, I brought my Kindercarry (like an Ergo but slightly bigger) and wore DD, who is a lightweight, on my back when she got tired, which was rarely. If I were shorter, or I needed to take the kids on fast walks or runs, then a double would have made sense.

kaharris83

My kids are 28 months apart. I got a few doubles before my second was born. My first started refusing to ride in a stroller while I was pregnant. I ended up selling all my doubles, except my Duallie which I use for exercise. I got a reversible single with a rider board when my youngest was 3 months old and lo and behold my oldest wanted to ride again if he was parent facing. So I just wore the baby and the oldest rode in the single. Or he'd ride the board if baby was riding in the stroller. He was a huge runner and I had no faith he'd stay on the board, but it turns out he loves the board and thinks it is so much fun he doesn't bolt for things when he's riding it so it's been great for us. However I did get a double for a trip to Disney World when #1 was almost 3.5 and #2 was 1 and I've been keeping it in my car and using it daily since then. Had we not gone to Disney where I knew I'd need a double, I would have been fine with a single and never missed having a double. I could have rented a double too, but I used the trip as an excuse to buy a new stroller since I have a bit of a stroller addiction.

My daily double is a BJCM-GT and I love it. The reversible single with board I have is the Versa GT with BJ rider board. I love that too. With a 3.5 year old I think you could get away with just a single.

eva_luvs_dave

Thanks all for your replies!! I think I will probably just get a BJCM GT. I kind of regret selling my City Elite but something a little more narrow and light weight is ok with me!

Thanks for all of the input!!!

newyorkDOC

DD was 3y8m when DS was born and we had a BJCS bc I thought they'd be closer in age and bought it when dd was 1. She barely rode in it after DS was born though she'd stand on the frame occasionally. I found it to be a monster in double mode.

Mainly I wear DS (now 18m) and dd (now 5) uses her scooter. A single was fine (we have a bee) bc I could wear DS when dd got tired. I also had a bibi strolli though which is like a bike attachment thing (it's offset unlike a buggy board).

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I would wait and see if you miss it. I liked having a double, but not until the baby got old enough to walk and didn't want to be carried all the time.

AZmamaof2

I have a baby trend sit n stand and it has been worth it. I bought it used for about $100, so not so high as you're thinking of. It converts from a double seater to a sit n stand. My two are 2.5 yrs apart. Oldest rode in front while I used the baby carrier in the back. When I no longer needed both seats, I converted to the sit n stand. They still both like to ride, for zoo trips, and are 3 and 5. I don't take it out as much now though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC