Buying a used minivan - what do I look for?

megan.amarice

We are selling our truck and buying a used minivan. Since it needs to be used, we will be limited by what we can find in our area at the time we are ready to buy. Any suggestions on what to look for/avoid? We'll be looking around $10k and while I know Odysseys and Siennas seem to be car seat friendly, the ones I see in our price range tend to be older and higher mileage than I'm hoping to find. I've never bought a used car before, help!

ADS

MommyShannon

I'd still look at the Ody and Sienna. They are known to last longer normally. How many kids and what kind of seats will be in it. The 2005 Ody has only 3 top tethers so if you need more I'd look at any other year.

megan.amarice

Two rear facers and a forward facer for now. I don't anticipate having to deal with more than two forward facers at a time. We certainly haven't ruled out the Ody or Sienna, but they appear to hold their resale value very well. If I was going to buy today, my only options in our price range for those vehicles would be models that are 8+ years old (mostly 10+) with 140k+ miles on them. We plan to use the new vehicle for most of our family driving, so I really would prefer something that I don't have to worry about so much.

jjordan

2006 or newer Sedona - good reliability ratings, in your price range with fewer miles than the Odyssey/Sienna, and an IIHS top safety pick. :) We love our 2008. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC