My new worry - oldest trying to kill her brother ...

AK Dad

Just when I think I've got everything dialed-in I find something new to keep me awake at night!
So, oldest is in a HBB now, and a couple of months ago she accidentally unbuckled her brother's Foonf next to her when she was getting out. Fortunately I caught it right away, and made sure to talk to her about it as well as making sure to do a half-twist in the buckle to shield the release button a bit better. In our truck she was still harnessed in a FR85, and a couple of weeks later I found her seat loose, I assume because she had "negative habit transfer" from the booster in the other car and reached down without thinking and unbuckled it. I have no idea how long it was like that because it was a LBP install, so the seat still appeared tight.
So then I had to go away for work for a couple of weeks, and I did the unthinkable ... I used both the LATCH belt and the LBP seatbelt on the FR85! I know that's totally "off label" usage, but when weighing the possibility that she might inadvertently unbuckle herself, I just decided in this case the backup LATCH belt was "better than nothing."
So we also had a babysitter using her own vehicle to shuttle kids around while I was away, and again the Foonf was right next to the booster, so I warned her about checking it, but today I just went to retrieve the seats, and again, the darn thing was unbuckled!!!! ARRGHH!!! Makes me crazy to know that my kid could have been running around town unrestrained for the last two weeks (although flying out the front window strapped into the Foonf is still probably "better than nothing" too).
So anyway, I'm getting an Oobr and putting the FR85 into storage (tried it in booster mode, but way too wide for our 3-across) and in the truck I've taken a piece of cardboard, shoved it between the buckle stalks, and taped it around the latchplate so she can't physically touch the middle seat release button, and I guess I'm going to have to come up with something similar for the Foonf in the Honda, although it'll look even worse with the floppy buckle stalks than with the rigid ones in the truck.

So anyway, I'm posting this as a discussion point and as a warning for anyone else making this transition into boosters - I never thought it would be such a huge issue, but it sure has been for us!

Thoughts? Other solutions?

ADS

canadiangie

Can she move to the other side so there is only 1 buckle stalk available for her to touch? (Does that make sense?)

Or you can do the cup trick. I don't have a link handy, but someone will..

Also, I miss you. Stay around, ok? :)

AK Dad

Can she move to the other side so there is only 1 buckle stalk available for her to touch? (Does that make sense?)

I would, but kind of handcuffed by the Kindergarten drop off line deal - they require (or at least strongly suggest) her to be on the curb side, which does make sense.

Or you can do the cup trick. I don't have a link handy, but someone will..

I think I remember seeing that somewhere - is it considered an "approved" technique?

Also, I miss you. Stay around, ok? :)

Awwww ... shucks, well, thanks! :eek: I probably need to unsubscribe from all of the darn Facebook CPS groups - I think those have been fulfilling my need to gab about carseats. This site is still a much better resource though for many reasons (vetting of Techs, searchable, etc.)

AK Dad

Twist the female buckle stalk 1/2 turn so that the button is on the inside.

I like that one too, and I usually recommend it to people, but I think it didn't work with the Foonf because the RF base is so narrow it still leaves the button accessible.

Phineasmama

Why would you use latch and seat belt on the FR85 when you can use latch and seat belt on the foonf safely? Am I missing something?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Sounds interesting, but can't really picture how that looks ... any pics?

When it warms up, I will get a picture. :)

I just took a toilet paper core, sliced it down the side (so it is more of a "C" shape), and slipped it around the female end of the buckle. It doesn't interfere with the male end of the buckle, and is enough of a tactile reminder that the booster rider doesn't unbuckle it. :)

YinzerMama

It's not clear to me because of the title of this - is she doing it out of habit or do you actually think she is actively unbuckling the brother because she wants to see what will happen?

Assuming it is pure habit I would start with the simplest thing which is probably to get a sticky velcro dot, the scratchy side, and put it on the button of the buckle you don't want her to press. It's a tactile reminder and won't interfere with anything (or even really show very much)

I'm not sure if you are trying just to remind her or to make it actually impossible to do.

AK Dad

Why would you use latch and seat belt on the FR85 when you can use latch and seat belt on the foonf safely? Am I missing something?

Foonf is RF'd with 18mo (or 4yo in sitter's car) -- oldest is too tall for Foonf FF'd. In retrospect doubling-up the FR85 wasn't that great an idea, but I didn't realize we had that particular issue (of her inadvertently releasing her own seat) until I was literally an hour from leaving for my trip, so it was the best I could do at the time.

AK Dad

It's not clear to me because of the title of this - is she doing it out of habit or do you actually think she is actively unbuckling the brother because she wants to see what will happen?

No, it's just out of habit and/or imprecision "trying to kill" her brother was a bit of hyperbole. ;)

Assuming it is pure habit I would start with the simplest thing which is probably to get a sticky velcro dot, the scratchy side, and put it on the button of the buckle you don't want her to press. It's a tactile reminder and won't interfere with anything (or even really show very much)

I'm not sure if you are trying just to remind her or to make it actually impossible to do.

That's a good one I hadn't heard of! I like it, although physically blocking it seems like more of a sure thing, although your idea would be better long-term ...

Baylor

No, it's just out of habit and/or imprecision "trying to kill" her brother was a bit of hyperbole. ;)

That's a good one I hadn't heard of! I like it, although physically blocking it seems like more of a sure thing, although your idea would be better long-term ...

I have to check the FR 85 all the time because My son rides in it both ways, Harness and booster, So sometimes one of them will undo it by accident and won't tell me.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think we have discussed before a concern that the grate could potentially depress the seatbelt button, particularly in a crash, when there is the potential for movement every darned which way.

Something that goes around - not over - is going to be a safer situation.

Pixels

I think we have discussed before a concern that the grate could potentially depress the seatbelt button, particularly in a crash, when there is the potential for movement every darned which way.

Something that goes around - not over - is going to be a safer situation.

I don't see any way for that to happen.

Part of the seat belt standard is that they apply essentially a ball - I think it's a one inch diameter - and press on the release button with it. That ball must not release the buckle. That grate on that particular product isn't going to press on the buckle enough to release it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's good to know! I don't know who raised the concern before but I do know it was reputable techs whom I think highly of, since it got filed in the "don't do that" file of the brain lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC