Question Is there another way to interpret this label?

jwilliams

I was cleaning up a Safety 1st AIO (it's a version of the dreaded AOE, I think) to give to someone. I was looking at all the labels when I saw this.

ForumRunner_20140228_191535.png

Is this saying what I think it's saying? That is, absolutely DO NOT use RF for a child over 1 year old? I'm used to seeing "only use FF for children over age 1," which I understand, but this one is puzzling me.

Just curious. Please tell me I'm wrong ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

wavegal

IMO its just VERY badly worded, like how the ffing belt path probably says do not use under 1 year of age. Especially with the other restrictions they have which means most 1 year olds can't ffing in the seat (ie: my 2 year old can't even ff in a Dorel seat with their 36 in rule)

Keeyamah

The second bullet on the sticker in the OP's picture is different, and definitely incorrect.

I had to go read it a second time, but yeah. The "use only with......(height and weight limits)....and under 1 rear of age" does make it sound like it can NOT be used RFing for a child who is over a year old :/

jwilliams

It is the second bullet point that is hurting my brain. In case it's not visible in the picture, under the problematic heading/label "Infant Rear Facing Position • Vehicle/LATCH belt goes here," it states:

• Use only with children who weigh between 5-35 pounds and whose height is between 19-36 inches and who are under one year.

It's like, hey, fall outside any of these parameters? Then turn this seat around.

I'm probably just being a crankypants because I couldn't help but catalog the seat's faults as I was cleaning it.

jwilliams

It's a Safety 1st All-in-One. DOM 6/15/2011.

I am working on tracking down the manual.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Wow. Yeah, that looks like a mistake to me. That's not the standard poor-wording open-to-interpretation federally required stuff.

I would be tempted to call Dorel and ask whether they really mean it. I wouldn't be surprised if this just slipped under their radar (like the mislabeled belt path stickers that were recently recalled...) Most likely someone edited an old label from like 1998 and forgot to remove that wording. We know that Dorel wants kids to RF to 2+ if possible.

I wonder how many seats there are out there like that.

jwilliams

That is crazy, does it say anywhere (on another sticker?) anything about the FF limits? That's just weird.

Here are the other stickers. One repeats the RF only under one verbatim, the other is for the FF limits, and the other has the manufacturer information and BPB use information.

The manual words things much better. But manuals get lost - or people don't read them.

ForumRunner_20140301_191010.jpg

ForumRunner_20140301_191023.jpg

ForumRunner_20140301_191034.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC