2003/04 Sienna vs. 2004/05/06 Odyssey

StillThankful

My mom is buying my beloved 1995 Honda Odyssey and I will be in the market later on this year to purchase something else. Until then, we are driving our 1994 Accord (which I still love :love: but DH is claiming it lol).

I've researched these two vehicles and wanted to know your opinion on them:

1. Sienna--any oil sludge in the 03 or 04 models that you have experienced?
2. Odyssey--any transmission problems or torque converter issues in the 2004, 2005, or 2006 models?
3. Any other issues that you would like to share?

I spoke with the mechanic foreman at Priority Toyota here and he said that he will take the valve cover gasket off of any Sienna I bring to him for $35 just to make sure that there is no oil sludge. Otherwise, a full "used car check" is $80!

ADS

Jackie010307

We have an 06 odyssey ex and the only issue we have had is with the power sliding doors. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they stop in the middle of which way they are going and reverse themselves. I also do not enjoy driving it on snow, but for me that's more of a van thing and not exclusive to the odyssey.

MommyShannon

We love our '06 Ody. Just keep in mind that the '05 is the one year that only has 3 top tethers and can't add more. We have an '06 Touring and it came standard with PAX run flat tires. They are crazy expensive, wear out fast, and can't be repaired once flat. It could take days to replace if you get a flat. We de-PAXed our van (search google) by buying new rims and regular tires. We don't regret the buy, just a cost to consider. There were a few years with those tires.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
We de-PAXed our van (search google) by buying new rims and regular tires. We don't regret the buy, just a cost to consider. There were a few years with those tires.

How much did that cost? Was it difficult to get done? We bought a 2005 Touring last fall and LOVE it, but the tire issue worries me. They were brand new when we bought the car, but the dealer said they can cost about $1,200 to replace. Yikes! And we expect to put a fair amount of miles on the van each year.

StillThankful

We love our '06 Ody. Just keep in mind that the '05 is the one year that only has 3 top tethers and can't add more. We have an '06 Touring and it came standard with PAX run flat tires. They are crazy expensive, wear out fast, and can't be repaired once flat. It could take days to replace if you get a flat. We de-PAXed our van (search google) by buying new rims and regular tires. We don't regret the buy, just a cost to consider. There were a few years with those tires.

Thank you! I had no idea was PAX was:) I found out that the vehicles with PAX are:
2005-2009 Honda Odyssey Touring models
2006-2008 Nissan Quest models
2006-2008 Acura RL models
2005-2009 Toyota Sienna models

Although the PAX feature is cool in that you can drive up to 125 miles with a flat, I won't be able to purchase these vehicles bc I wouldn't be able to afford to replace the tires lol! I see that there was a class action suit against Honda for the PAX tire issues and, therefore, the original warranty was extended to 36,000 miles.

Question: How do you know if it's a "Touring" model? Is it labeled on the back of the Honda as such?

MommyShannon

How much did that cost? Was it difficult to get done? We bought a 2005 Touring last fall and LOVE it, but the tire issue worries me. They were brand new when we bought the car, but the dealer said they can cost about $1,200 to replace. Yikes! And we expect to put a fair amount of miles on the van each year.
DH thinks it was about $600-$800 for the new rims then whatever tires you want. He cut the tpms sensors out of the old tires, but you can just buy new ones. The only thing we haven't done is get a spare put in the van. We have one at home. The PAX tires were a lot rougher and made the steering wheel shake too. That went away.

MommyShannon

Thank you! I had no idea was PAX was:) I found out that the vehicles with PAX are: 2005-2009 Honda Odyssey Touring models 2006-2008 Nissan Quest models 2006-2008 Acura RL models 2005-2009 Toyota Sienna models Although the PAX feature is cool in that you can drive up to 125 miles with a flat, I won't be able to purchase these vehicles bc I wouldn't be able to afford to replace the tires lol! I see that there was a class action suit against Honda for the PAX tire issues and, therefore, the original warranty was extended to 36,000 miles. Question: How do you know if it's a "Touring" model? Is it labeled on the back of the Honda as such?
Yes, it would be labeled or on the info. The EX-L is the next highest trim level. The Touring is the fully loaded 7 passenger version. We love it, but it's a cost to know going in.
ETA: Here is a site with rims/info. http://www.collegehillshonda.com/category/odyssey-depax.html
DH picked everything out himself and got them put on somewhere. It voids warranties, but that wasn't an issue since ours wasn't under warranty.

AZmamaof2

Thank you! I had no idea was PAX was:) I found out that the vehicles with PAX are:
2005-2009 Honda Odyssey Touring models
2006-2008 Nissan Quest models
2006-2008 Acura RL models
2005-2009 Toyota Sienna models

Do all Siennas from that range have PAX or only the higher end models? Would a dealer mention that in the listing for used ones?

Pixels

Even if all the vehicles were made with PAX, many have already been de-PAXed by their owners. Definitely something to pay attention to when shopping.

And no, not all of those vehicles were all made with PAX. My 2006 Sienna did not have them as an option.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
On the Sienna, the run flat tires (aka Pax in Honda's parlance) were included on the AWD equipped Sienna models because the AWD drivetrain option precluded having a spare tire stowed underneath the Sienna.

MommyShannon

I only know about the Ody and it was on all the tourings then. I wouldn't eliminate them from your search, just use it to negotiate or hopefully find out they've already been replaced.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
So if a Sienna description includes a bit saying that the spare tire is stowed under the Sienna, that most likely means dePaxed?

If there's a storage space with the spare tire stowed under a Sienna you're considering buying, then that means it's FWD instead of AWD and accordingly never had any dictated need for run flat tires to begin with, not that it had run flats that were switched over to non-run flat tires. The Sienna's optional AWD drivetrain eliminates the spare tire storage compartment space under the Sienna (located approximately under the second row floor pan IIRC from owning a 2005 FWD Sienna model) and created the need for the run flat tires instead of regular/non-run flat tires with a spare stored under the van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC