Amazing story --- Train versus car and rear-facing toddler

ADS

NVMBR02

This story is local to me and I was amazed when I first heard about it. How terrifying for that poor mother.

Brianna

I was getting upset as I read that- I can't imagine what it was like for the mom to have to watch it happen while she couldn't do anything. What a positive ending that he was almost entirely unharmed in his car seat though!

Keeanh

How awful! SO glad he's okay!! I now have a new appreciation for our raised rail beds here (you have to go up and over all of them, so can't slide onto them).

As I was reading, I just kept thinking about how I've always disliked new cars and their automatic locks and electronic everything. She would have had no trouble getting out of an old car and opening her back door.

canadiangie

How awful! SO glad he's okay!! I now have a new appreciation for our raised rail beds here (you have to go up and over all of them, so can't slide onto them).

As I was reading, I just kept thinking about how I've always disliked new cars and their automatic locks and electronic everything. She would have had no trouble getting out of an old car and opening her back door.

I wonder, though, if I would generally prefer the safety advantages of a new vehicle with enhanced safety features over an older vehicle that has non auto locking doors - stuff like stabiltrac, side airbags, reinforced pillars, etc, if I'm going to be in a severe collision. I know I can turn my auto locking doors off if I want. There's some code thingy in my owners manual.

Brianna

Are there vehicles with power locks that don't allow you to manually pull up or out on a lock? I know in a state of panic one might not think to manually lift a lock if it's not something they are used to though.

Keeyamah

Are there vehicles with power locks that don't allow you to manually pull up or out on a lock? I know in a state of panic one might not think to manually lift a lock if it's not something they are used to though.

The ones in my mom's 2004 Freestar get too low to get a grip on in the front seats. The rear seats stay tall enough, provided Quinn hasn't played with the child locks..... (No they aren't engaged because he can't unbuckle his FR85 and can't open the sliding doors at all).

Keeanh

I wonder, though, if I would generally prefer the safety advantages of a new vehicle with enhanced safety features over an older vehicle that has non auto locking doors - stuff like stabiltrac, side airbags, reinforced pillars, etc, if I'm going to be in a severe collision. I know I can turn my auto locking doors off if I want. There's some code thingy in my owners manual.

Yeah, I didn't mean I would pick an old car JUST because of the manual locks LOL. I didn't have a problem driving my old no-airbags Protege, but there was no way I was letting my kids drive it! I meant I dislike THAT aspect of new cars (I realize I didn't exactly phrase it that way). I wish you could get a new car with all the new safety features, but old-school manual everything else ;)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
My dad custom ordered his truck from Chevy to be fully loaded but with manual locks and windows. It's pretty easy to turn off the auto lock function in my suburban.

Also, I don't know that RF really made a difference for this kid. It just looks like he was really lucky and the damage was contained to the front of the vehicle.

Qarin

Also, I don't know that RF really made a difference for this kid. It just looks like he was really lucky and the damage was contained to the front of the vehicle.

Hard to know, but I strongly suspect his neck and spine are in better condition than they would have been if he'd been forward-facing.

jacqui276

My car automatically locks when I drive and the locks go into the door so there is no way I can pull them out. Now I feel like I need to investigate as to whether I can turn that off. With my last accident, my vehicle turned itself off and the doors unlocked as soon as the other car hit me.

How terrifying for that mom! Glad to see that the little guy is mostly unharmed!

Dillipop

My car automatically locks when I drive and the locks go into the door so there is no way I can pull them out. Now I feel like I need to investigate as to whether I can turn that off. With my last accident, my vehicle turned itself off and the doors unlocked as soon as the other car hit me.

How terrifying for that mom! Glad to see that the little guy is mostly unharmed!

Most newer cars, even if the car is still locked, will allow you to open the driver side door from the inside with the handle even if the rest of the doors are locked. Doesn't help get someone out of the back seat but at least allows the driver out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC