signo straps?

melniemi

How are they - twisty wise?? More like the Como or MA?? I saw that the strap is longer, so would I give it to my 3 yo and pass MA down to baby or give signo to baby?? Of course, I still don't know what to buy! Thankfully, my dd (8.5 months) weighed in at under 16 pounds this morning so I still have time! Thanks!

ADS

southpawboston

given the higher crotch strap on the signo as well as those massive shoulder belt pads, i'm doubting that the signo can work for a small baby. firstly, the buckle will be near the baby's chest. secondly, those shoulder pads may be too big to allow the chest clip to be properly positioned (i'd have to double check the manual to see if the seat can be used without the pads, mostly likely yes). thirdly, with the longer crotch strap and harness set to lowest height, i'm not even sure the harness will tighten all the way. i.e., the splitter plate might end at the adjuster mechanism before the harness is snug. this is just speculation though. overall, i just don't think it will work for a newborn or young (<10-12 lbs) infant.

as for the twisty straps. they are slightly narrower and therefore slightly twistier than those of a MA, but they don't twist through the buckle tongues like they do on the como.

i would definitely give the signo to your 3 yo and the MA to baby. our slightly chunky 3yo actually fit very well in the signo, and i actually really like the way the long buckle fits around her waist. definitely better for older kids than infants.

#1 hi res pic of 3yo in signo

#2 hi res pic of 3yo in signo

melniemi

Thanks so much for your description and pics! They helped a lot! Have you owned a marathon? If so, did you like it better than the signo or the other way around? I love my ma so I am hesitant to try a new brand! Thanks!

southpawboston

i never tried a MA, but i don't like the lack of supportive side wings, whether or not they are proven to help in a crash. i did try a BV in my car with my daugher in it, and i would have been sold on it over the signo if not for the way the headwing mechanism pushes the head forward. it just seemed like an ergonomically poor design. i know, i should put my flame suit on. :duck:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Outing myself here as the owner of a Signo since yesterday (from Right Start). :whistle: The longer crotch strap and strap covers seem tailor made for my long torsoed 2 year old, and even my 5.5 year fits with about 3/4 to an inch above her shoulders with the harness in the top position, although she protests about the headwings and doesn't look comfortable. I think it would be a much tougher fit for an infant or shorter torsoed child. :twocents: I haven't noticed any twisting or tendency to twist the harness so far, although the straps do strike me as thinner than those on the Blvd./Marathon.

I do like the Signo RF better than the Blvd. in DH's '08 Scion xB so far because it takes up less room behind the front passenger seat than the Blvd. and seems to install more solidly. With the Blvd. I have to move the passenger seat up a notch and then DD2 tends to push the back seat with her feet and recline the Blvd. more over time, causing it to contact the front seatback (and it's a no-no to have a child seat touch the front seatbacks due to the front airbag sensors per the xB's manual). The Signo installed more upright and allows several inches of clearance behind the front passenger seat with the passenger seat moved all the way back. I'm liking the Signo so far over the Blvd., especially with the extra rear facing potential and overall use potential. DD1 was too tall to use her sister's Blvd. at barely 4 years old, yet technically she could use the Signo at almost age 6 for a while longer if she wasn't bothered by the headwings: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w217/jeanum/signo-age5fullheight.jpg

Last edited:

katiebug

No trouble with twisting here.

Jeanum -thanks for that pic. I've been trying to borrow my 6yo niece to see how she fits into my Signo but no luck yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC