Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Chicco Nextfit strap issues with a 3 year old

The birth mother of my step sons recently went from a set of cones to a set of nextfits! They are both almost 4 and wearing size 2T clothes. One of the boys sits in a safety1st onside air in our vehicle.

She noticed that when she tried them in the nextfits in BRU that each of the boys were grabbing at the harness at their necks. She thinks the space of the straps are extremely narrow and this is why it bothers them. I can't imagine it being anymore narrow than the onside air seat. -- anyone with me on this?

I'm going to be checking it today to make sure everything is set up correctly today when she picks up, and assure her that the covers are going to be more comfortable than a "raw" harness strap.

QUESTIONS:
    Has anyone had their (3 year old or older) child complain about the straps?

Is it okay to remove this seats strap covers while rear facing?
    CPST since August 6 2012

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

I would make sure she has the newer style http://carseatblog.com/25351/chicco-...-october-2013/ but they are required at all times. Also if she's using the inner position on the clip, they might find it more comfortable on the outer setting.

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Re: Chicco Nextfit strap issues with a 3 year old

Quote Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
    I would make sure she has the newer style http://carseatblog.com/25351/chicco-...-october-2013/ but they are required at all times. Also if she's using the inner position on the clip, they might find it more comfortable on the outer setting.
    I believe she did have it on the outer (not reading the manual before hand) and there were still complaints.

Are you saying that both new and older styles do not allow removal?

I'm thinking it's not a problem and they just need to get used to it. Am I wrong to judge that?
    CPST since August 6 2012

CPS Fanatic

The pads are not required but they are a minor pain in the butt to remove from the pre-oct2013 seats. The newer pads are way nicer than the old but only one color is available so far (or was as of a couple weeks when I called)

My son does not like the straps without the pads, old or new, even though he never had straps in his britax. He is almost 3. I really hated the new pads but they still improved the comfort of the straps. (I now have 2 seats with the new pads)

I do think the space is narrower between the straps than other seats and the pads helps a lot for comfort.

At (almost) 4 years old can't the children speak up if something is bothering them? I know my son who is almost 2 is very vocal he is unconformable or hurting in some way...
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

7. Thank You from:

Which setting was the chest clip on? Are they RF or FF?

All the floor models at the BRU stores I have been in have the pre-2013 models that say "rear-facing" and "forward-facing" on the chest clip. But the updates indicate that you can now use the chest clip in either position, depending on the child's comfort.

I can see how the RF position chest clip might be positioning their straps too close. My 11-month-old (obviously RF and will be for awhile) started crying until I moved the chest clip to the outer (formerly called "forward-facing") position.

ETA: Gak! I read the other comments and see that this issue has already been brought up. Sorry!

Which setting was the chest clip on? Are they RF or FF?

All the floor models at the BRU stores I have been in have the pre-2013 models that say "rear-facing" and "forward-facing" on the chest clip. But the updates indicate that you can now use the chest clip in either position, depending on the child's comfort.

I can see how the RF position chest clip might be positioning their straps too close. My 11-month-old (obviously RF and will be for awhile) started crying until I moved the chest clip to the outer (formerly called "forward-facing") position.

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mommy View Post
    At (almost) 4 years old can't the children speak up if something is bothering them? I know my son who is almost 2 is very vocal he is unconformable or hurting in some way...
    My son (now 4.5) when he was almost four might have been able to inform me that something was bothering him, but his language skills were not advanced enough for him to "speak up" and help me figure out what it might be. Hence why we have been in speech and language therapy for almost a year now actually :/ (not saying OP's stepsons need it, just saying some kids can't/won't verbal inform when something is bothering them).

Quinn (Sept '09) Riding in an Amp and Harmony Big Boost
    Sean (Aug '12) FFing in 2 RXT's

Quote Originally Posted by Keeyamah View Post
    My son (now 4.5) when he was almost four might have been able to inform me that something was bothering him, but his language skills were not advanced enough for him to "speak up" and help me figure out what it might be. Hence why we have been in speech and language therapy for almost a year now actually :/ (not saying OP's stepsons need it, just saying some kids can't/won't verbal inform when something is bothering them).
    I think she was over reacting...
    CPST since August 6 2012