Question Chicco Nextfit strap issues with a 3 year old

MommaKellie

The birth mother of my step sons recently went from a set of cones to a set of nextfits! They are both almost 4 and wearing size 2T clothes. One of the boys sits in a safety1st onside air in our vehicle.

She noticed that when she tried them in the nextfits in BRU that each of the boys were grabbing at the harness at their necks. She thinks the space of the straps are extremely narrow and this is why it bothers them. I can't imagine it being anymore narrow than the onside air seat. -- anyone with me on this?

I'm going to be checking it today to make sure everything is set up correctly today when she picks up, and assure her that the covers are going to be more comfortable than a "raw" harness strap.

QUESTIONS:
Has anyone had their (3 year old or older) child complain about the straps?

Is it okay to remove this seats strap covers while rear facing?

ADS

MommaKellie

I would make sure she has the newer style http://carseatblog.com/25351/chicco-nextfit-convertible-updates-october-2013/ but they are required at all times. Also if she's using the inner position on the clip, they might find it more comfortable on the outer setting.

I believe she did have it on the outer (not reading the manual before hand) and there were still complaints.

Are you saying that both new and older styles do not allow removal?

I'm thinking it's not a problem and they just need to get used to it. Am I wrong to judge that?

YinzerMama

The pads are not required but they are a minor pain in the butt to remove from the pre-oct2013 seats. The newer pads are way nicer than the old but only one color is available so far (or was as of a couple weeks when I called)

My son does not like the straps without the pads, old or new, even though he never had straps in his britax. He is almost 3. I really hated the new pads but they still improved the comfort of the straps. (I now have 2 seats with the new pads)

I do think the space is narrower between the straps than other seats and the pads helps a lot for comfort.

1mommy

At (almost) 4 years old can't the children speak up if something is bothering them? I know my son who is almost 2 is very vocal he is unconformable or hurting in some way...

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Which setting was the chest clip on? Are they RF or FF?

All the floor models at the BRU stores I have been in have the pre-2013 models that say "rear-facing" and "forward-facing" on the chest clip. But the updates indicate that you can now use the chest clip in either position, depending on the child's comfort.

I can see how the RF position chest clip might be positioning their straps too close. My 11-month-old (obviously RF and will be for awhile) started crying until I moved the chest clip to the outer (formerly called "forward-facing") position.

ETA: Gak! I read the other comments and see that this issue has already been brought up. Sorry!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Which setting was the chest clip on? Are they RF or FF?

All the floor models at the BRU stores I have been in have the pre-2013 models that say "rear-facing" and "forward-facing" on the chest clip. But the updates indicate that you can now use the chest clip in either position, depending on the child's comfort.

I can see how the RF position chest clip might be positioning their straps too close. My 11-month-old (obviously RF and will be for awhile) started crying until I moved the chest clip to the outer (formerly called "forward-facing") position.

Keeyamah

At (almost) 4 years old can't the children speak up if something is bothering them? I know my son who is almost 2 is very vocal he is unconformable or hurting in some way...

My son (now 4.5) when he was almost four might have been able to inform me that something was bothering him, but his language skills were not advanced enough for him to "speak up" and help me figure out what it might be. Hence why we have been in speech and language therapy for almost a year now actually :/ (not saying OP's stepsons need it, just saying some kids can't/won't verbal inform when something is bothering them).

MommaKellie

My son (now 4.5) when he was almost four might have been able to inform me that something was bothering him, but his language skills were not advanced enough for him to "speak up" and help me figure out what it might be. Hence why we have been in speech and language therapy for almost a year now actually :/ (not saying OP's stepsons need it, just saying some kids can't/won't verbal inform when something is bothering them).

I think she was over reacting...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC