Question visit 1x yearly... can nearly 4 yr old go booster?

U

Unregistered

I travel alone with my daughter (born 07/2010) and so have bought Cosco Scenera car seats and shipped (free, thanks Amazon) to the couple of places we visit frequently. At end of April we plan to visit Santa Fe for a few days. We'll go there again when she's 4.5 or 5... so I'd hate to buy a convertible seat with 40 lbs limit, as we'd only get one use out of it, and I'm not made of money. Preferably I'd get a booster so we'd get more use out of it. She's 39" tall and 33 lbs. I'll be sitting in the back seat with her, and she's a pretty mellow kid who tends to follow instructions.

What would you recommend?

ADS

T4K

For a 4.5 year old? Sure. For a 3 year old? I would take a harnessed seat. :)

Enjoy Santa Fe! One of my favorite places on earth!

wavegal

I agree take a seat with you, the sureride is under 10lbs so very light weight. I would not put a 3yr old in a booster even if your next to her because at that age and weight there is a much higher risk of submarining under the seat-belt if you were to be in an accident

1mommy

I can't pull up the growth charts to judge if your daughter is tall or not, but if she is tall for her age I would go for the Evenflo Sureride. It has the tallest top straps for any convertible (straps must be at or above your daughters shoulders if she is forward facing) meaning your daughter will fit in it by height for a very long time, and it has a weight limit or 65 pounds. The Evenflo Maestro is not as tall but will later convert to a booster, and has a weight limit of 50 pounds for the harness. Neither will probably be the last car seat/booster you need for your daughter but both should probably last her until she is ready for a backless booster. Both the Maestro and the SureRide are light weight (under 10 pounds) and will be easy to travel with.

henrietta

She *is* tall and thin, but she is nowhere near safe in a booster and I would absolutely NOT put her in one until she is a minimum of 4-5 years old and close to 40 lbs. In fact, more and more boosters are being labeled as having 40 lbs minimums now...and in my state, it is illegal for a 3 year old to ride in a booster seat.

A Maestro or a Sure Ride will get a lot of use for you from here on out. At 39" tall, those Sceneras may not last her long unless she's fairly short torsoed. ;) My 5.5 year old is 43" tall and 41-42 lbs and he still fits in a Maestro with room to grow. It's not a lot of room, but a half inch or so now in the harness. He's an average size for his age and wears size 5 pants and size 5/6 shirts.

hths

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC