Parents Magazine Article on new Latch Rules

1mommy

...Just have to say wow at all the comments on the Parent's Magazine Facebook Article on the new LATCH rules... I mean it really shows the depth of parents ignorance, with some people trying to correct the misinformation but yea :jaw:

One parent says their going to use latch regardless of the rules and if their kid dies, its their time to go anyways :eek:.... and of course the normal misinformation about rear facing, where do their legs go, etc.... and then the harness vs booster debate between parents... its just well mind blowing how many people are ignorant of safety facts and refuse to open up their mind and do research. They are set in their beliefs and will not change them... I understand its your kid, its your choice but I just with the average parent would do some research on what is safest and then decide, and not just assume you know everything and dismiss what anyone else says.

I would copy the link but I'm at work and FB is blocked, so no go there....

ADS

YinzerMama

Harness vs booster debate meaning harness is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much safer, that is why my 10yo is harnessed?

Last edited:

cantabdad

I can't see all of the comments, but you're right -- there is a really strange brew of misinformation and willful ignorance there, with some voices of reason also trying to set the record straight.

I have always wondered why there is so much resistance to following best practices for child passenger safety. I think the most charitable explanations are:

1. Cognitive dissonance -- Americans spend *a lot* of time driving (averaging around 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year for an employed adult), so it's disconcerting to think that it is an inherently dangerous activity, with a real risk of serious injury. It is more psychologically comforting to hold a false belief that kids are never in any real danger and that carseats don't matter very much. Then add in some confirmation bias -- one would tend to avoid any statistical or factual information that would contradict this belief, but hold on to any information that seems to confirm it.

2. Complexity -- Carseat checks show that 80%-90% have one or more installation errors. While I agree with most people here on c-s.o that this means that more parental education and outreach is needed, the other side of the coin is that any product with such a high misuse rate should probably be viewed as having inherent design flaws. It simply should not be that difficult for a conscientious parent to install a carseat correctly, and yet it is. (Even I have made some poor choices due to conflicting or vague language in my vehicle's manual vs. the carseat manual.)

3. Pace of change / Information overload -- The last 5-10 years have seen an explosion of new and different carseats with higher weight limits and different features, a major and well-publicized policy change by AAP about rear-facing, and now these changes to the LATCH rules.

All of this is not to say that simple ignorance -- or just general American weirdness -- are not at play here, too, but I do wonder about these other factors. We will never "get through to people" if we don't understand more about why they hold the views that they do.

YinzerMama

Don't forget about trolls. People that post things like "I don't care, it's just my kid's time to die" imo might just be looking to get a rise out of people.

LatterDayMommy

Complexity -- Carseat checks show that 80%-90% have one or more installation errors. While I agree with most people here on c-s.o that this means that more parental education and outreach is needed, the other side of the coin is that any product with such a high misuse rate should probably be viewed as having inherent design flaws. It simply should not be that difficult for a conscientious parent to install a carseat correctly, and yet it is

Thank you! I am trying really hard to get as much information on proper installation and best practices as I can, but to be honest, it is really discouraging and concerning to hear techs saying that they have to have other techs check their seats- because seriously dudes, if the "experts" are still doing it wrong often enough to be worried about it then there is something pretty crappy about the whole situation. No, its not enough to make me give up, but I know people for whom it is. I am not really sure what my point is here, I just appreciated someone else pointing out that a reasonably intelligent and literate person should be able to read the manual and properly install their carseat. I also realize that is not reality, but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request or expectation.

Mom2natalie

:yeahthatsad:
I had the same exact thought last night when reading the thread about whether all parents should get their seats checked.

I know some people just slap the seat in there without much thought. I see my family members do it. My MIL transports children who are in foster care for the state of AL. I've seen her horrible installs and on the rare occasions my daughter stays with her I always install her seat and ask that it not be removed.

The thing is that I really try to do the best. I've stressed about and thoroughly (to the point of being neurotic) every seat purchase, from infant seat on.

If the seats are so difficult for most people to install that's a problem that should be fixed. At the same time, I feel it is a huge responsibility that I take seriously that my daughter is properly restrained every car ride. It makes me furious when I see people not properly restrain their children in their cars. If there's an accident and something horrible happens, there's no second chance, there's no going back.

Kegracin

, but to be honest, it is really discouraging and concerning to hear techs saying that they have to have other techs check their seats- because seriously dudes, if the "experts" are still doing it wrong often enough to be worried about it then there is something pretty crappy about the whole situation.

Even at a check up event generally two sets of eyes plus the parent checks the seat before the vehicle leaves. I go over the install help the parent install the seat and then the senior checker/tech instructor also checks the final install. So if I as a tech take my seat it's just to have a second set of eyes say hey your good. The child restraint is holding something pretty important to me so of course I wanna have a second opinion.

henrietta

I just want to say that techs know how easy it is to make a mistake, even a seemingly unimportant one, when installing and using a carseat. *That* is why we get our seats checked when we can. Because anyone can make a mistake!!!
I was only a CPST for 2 years, and only did it to volunteer (it's not my paid job). I helped out loads of preschool friends, family, and total strangers..but I've been on these boards for many years and am very knowledgeable. I even made a mistake w/my new daughter's car seat and didn't catch it right away. Anyone can make a mistake. I agree they should all be easier though!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC