Strange no-name booster seats on Amazon?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They have appealing, brand name character (possibly/probably counterfeit?) covers. All are backless and all are sold by "merchandiseonline."

I can't see any kind of brand labeling on them at all. Two appear to have labels showing a belt path.

Any guesses what they are? Imports from China I'm guessing? Are they even illegal if they do not claim to be "child safety seats" (they are listed in "Automotive accessories") and do not claim to meet federal standards? (I know they'd be illegal to USE but what about to SELL?)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...5684181&ie=UTF8&qid=1393316319&rnid=386419011

ADS

NatNat's Mom

Looks like their description shows they're ECE R44/04 tested and approved. So maybe legal in Europe? But not in the US, I'm guessing.

NatNat's Mom

And it does say Children's booster seat in the description as well, so I can definitely see a misinformed person buying it for their kid since they really are cute seats!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I missed ECE. They're probably safe if they actually meet that standard- but I don't see the labeling that would be required (unless it's on the bottom?)

I did see "children's booster" but I'm not sure if that's enough to trigger a problem, you know?

I wonder if they're actually licensed characters or if they're unauthorized.

Who has $60 to spend on research? :whistle: ;)

_juune

I did a quick search and a bunch of backless boosters that look very much like those on the Amazon link appear across internet stores over here [I'm in Eastern Europe]. So I guess it's quite likely they are indeed ECE certified [unless they are, like, totally counterfeit]. Info on those store listings is extremely limited, though, like no manufacturer name or the like [one, another].

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I did a quick search and a bunch of backless boosters that look very much like those on the Amazon link appear across internet stores over here [I'm in Eastern Europe]. So I guess it's quite likely they are indeed ECE certified [unless they are, like, totally counterfeit]. Info on those store listings is extremely limited, though, like no manufacturer name or the like [one, another].

Kinda wondering if they are "extras" that "fell off the back of a truck" in China. :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They look like the Harmony LiteRider :)

I'm actually not really concerned about their functionality, as long as they are made from quality materials they would appear to be a good design for good belt fit and anti-submarine shape. But if they are counterfeit, the materials could be suspect... And I'm curious how the heck they are getting here (by what channels.)

mimieliza

I wish they weren't sketchy. My DD would love The Lion King one.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

krystin_21a

Did you see that things such as Playboy sheets must be returned in "unopened" condition?? Laughed when I saw that one!

The seats do look interesting:)

Mom2natalie

Did you see that things such as Playboy sheets must be returned in "unopened" condition?? Laughed when I saw that one!

The seats do look interesting:)

I saw it too and cracked up!

Hey, I like the variety. I can buy my kid's booster seat AND my Playboy sheets from the same store. :dance:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
On a similar note: Um, is this seat a FF only (combination) for 9 months and up? This doesn't seem to be US certified... does it? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1SPZRS3SDKVJX"]Amazon.com At a Glance: Acoco USA[/ame]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC