Question let's talk about passenger vans and rollover

MamanMag

Hi everyone,

We just sold our Town &Country and are looking at the Nissan NV. We just took it for a test drive. My husband had no issues adjusting to driving a truck but it was MY first time and well, I didn't feel very comfortable... My DH told me that I have to take my time and no sudden movements! Since sudden movements may induce rollover. I did some research about rollover and according to the NHTSA the NV has a 2 star rating for rollover (30.6%). Not great of course but to be expected on such a big van.

So, now, I would love to hear if any of you ever had to avoid something on the road, if you've ever hit a curb and what the outcomes were. In other words, what is your experience with driving a big vehicle? I would love to hear any advice too!!

Should I worry about rollover? I read that one of the reasons for rollover are inexperienced drivers, well, I've been driving for over 15 years but I never drove something bigger than my T&C...

Also, is it possible to park such a big van between two other vehicles on a regular Texan parking lot (grocery stores, mall,...)? I tried several times but failed quite miserably... I have to get my orange cones out again :)

TIA,

Mag

ADS

Keeanh

The 2-star means nothing, really. It's a big van being compared to sports cars. Of course it's going to come out behind. It's like comparing the risk of frostbite in Alaska vs Arizona and saying "Don't live in Alaska!" LOL. You just need to use common sense and drive it like a van, not a sports car. I've made emergency manoeuvres in my Safari (Astro) & Express without any trouble. If you need a big van, you need a big van. The Ford Explorer also gets a 2-star. I haven't heard of people being worried about driving those.

Here's an interesting article on those rollover ratings:
http://www.caranddriver.com/columns...atings-good-enough-for-government-work-column

Are you planning to have more children? If you only have 4 and don't need massive amounts of cargo space, you might be happier with a Sienna / Odyssey. I would hate having to drive the big van all the time. I use my Safari for daily use.

MamanMag

Thanks for sharing your experience and your common sense!! We have 5 kids with 4 of them in car seats/booster and while the Odyssey was on our list, I still had a hard time fitting everyone... And then when we have family over, we can take just one car. So, after debating between the Odyssey and the NV we decided on the NV but we haven't purchased it yet. So since we don't have it yet, I wanted to learn more about what worries me the most about it... With all the big trucks we have here, I have never seen a rollover and don't know anyone who has had one but it was still a concern... I was kind of reassured that on the rollover test that NHTSA did, the van did not tip, so that is good (but after reading the article in your link, I guess it doesn't mean much ;-)). I still wanted to hear from people here, on the community. So thanks again!

Keeanh

Thanks for sharing your experience and your common sense!! We have 5 kids with 4 of them in car seats/booster and while the Odyssey was on our list, I still had a hard time fitting everyone... And then when we have family over, we can take just one car. So, after debating between the Odyssey and the NV we decided on the NV but we haven't purchased it yet. So since we don't have it yet, I wanted to learn more about what worries me the most about it... With all the big trucks we have here, I have never seen a rollover and don't know anyone who has had one but it was still a concern... I was kind of reassured that on the rollover test that NHTSA did, the van did not tip, so that is good (but after reading the article in your link, I guess it doesn't mean much ;-)). I still wanted to hear from people here, on the community. So thanks again!

Oops, I just saw the 4 lines in your siggy and missed that you have a 5th there! Sorry :eek: I think you'll really like the van once you get used to the length. The width is actually about the same as the new Sienna & Odyssey.

MamanMag

Oops, I just saw the 4 lines in your siggy and missed that you have a 5th there! Sorry :eek: I think you'll really like the van once you get used to the length. The width is actually about the same as the new Sienna & Odyssey.

No problem!! 4 and 5 came in one package but boy, they are a hand full :D

I really hope that I'll get used to it in a reasonable amount of time! We'll see... The parking will take a few weeks I think ;) I'm just not good at maneuvering :(

nannykates

I think no matter what vehicle you switch to there is a learning curve in parking!

When I switched from our old van to the accord it took adjustment, then again when I switched from the accord to our new van...it just takes time to learn your corners and angles :)

MamanMag

I think no matter what vehicle you switch to there is a learning curve in parking!

When I switched from our old van to the accord it took adjustment, then again when I switched from the accord to our new van...it just takes time to learn your corners and angles :)

Yes, that's true!! Hopefully it won't take too long though;)

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC