Is there only one type of locking clip?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It was my understanding that if a locking clip was needed, it would be included with the seat. I was just re-reading Heather's review of the Cybex Aton in order to get some measurements and noticed all the bolded warnings about making sure to lock the seatbelt because the belt-tensioning plate is not a lockoff. In the comments, I saw that if you have a seat with a belt that does not lock, you're supposed to use a locking clip but that one isn't included with the seat. Weird.

I just looked up the manual and it said that you should contact Regal Lager to obtain a locking clip, but I'm still waiting on some replacement parts that they promised to send me over a week ago (after not responding to my request from a month before that), so I'm a little hesitant to deal with them again. Is the locking clip that they would give me specific to my seat or can I use any locking clip that I can find on Amazon?

We have never needed one before, but I'd like to have one on hand just in case we need one while traveling or something. Both of the convertibles that we just purchased have built-in lock-offs, so they didn't come with a lock-off. If I bought a back-up convertible that didn't have lock-offs, would the locking clip that comes with it be okay to use with our Aton 2?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
They are usually only needed for vehicles made prior to 1996. After that, the seat belt locks some way. The locking clip is the one thing that is universal and doesn't expire. So if you have one from another seat, that can be used.

Last edited:

Keeanh

Yes, you can use any locking clip. I have a ton of extras from scavenging off expired, discarded, & crashed seats.

skiersnowboarder3

Senior Community Member
They are usually only needed for vehicles made prior to 1996. After that, the seat belt locks some way. The locking clip is the one thing that is universal and does expire. So if you have one from another seat, that can be used.

Do you mean that locking clips DON'T expire? I had never heard that they did.

There is another type of locking clip called a belt shortening clip but they're for very old vehicle belts that are unable to be locked at the latchplate.

aeormsby

Do you mean that locking clips DON'T expire? I had never heard that they did.

There is another type of locking clip called a belt shortening clip but they're for very old vehicle belts that are unable to be locked at the latchplate.

Right, metal doesn't weaken over time like the plastic & straps on the carseat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Britax Frontier 85 didn't come with one either. I think a few others don't. They're not required to be included with the seat, but if you call they'll send one if you need it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
And some seats come with a different kind of lockoff (like the Coccoro's removable one), but even so, you could use a regular locking clip with it. P

As stated, though, it's probably a moot point. If your car is post-1996, the belts lock somehow. Unless it's a tippy rear-facing seat (some infant seats, a few convertibles) they're really not necessary.

sarahknavy

And some seats come with a different kind of lockoff (like the Coccoro's removable one), but even so, you could use a regular locking clip with it. P As stated, though, it's probably a moot point. If your car is post-1996, the belts lock somehow. Unless it's a tippy rear-facing seat (some infant seats, a few convertibles) they're really not necessary.

When I install car seats in my sisters caravan, I can never get the seat belts to lock? If it's one if those "lock at the latch" deals, how do you get the install right. Whenever I do it the belts don't tighten

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If a lightweight locking latchplate slips, you can flip over the buckle after tightening to prevent slipping. You can also try twisting down the buckle stalk up to three full turns to change the geometry, since getting the two parts of the belt to lie flat is how you lock those belts.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Britax Frontier 85 didn't come with one either. I think a few others don't. They're not required to be included with the seat, but if you call they'll send one if you need it.

Baby Trend bases don't. And you know how narrow those seats are, sometimes the seatbelt gets short enough to unlock (Nedra, you know how you pull the belt all the way out and it clamps you down and gets tighter, and the only way to unlock it is to let it retract all the way and start over? The belt gets so short on the Baby Trend that it unlocks as if it's fully unbuckled and retracted)... It's just a good thing I scavenge so many locking clips from the BRU trade in event, since we don't sell them anymore, I'm glad I can ask people what they think they need a clip for and then hand them a free one with some education about how to use it.

Don't know if anyone's linked to this, but it's a good starting point to learn about how belts lock and when you need a locking clip... http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Baby Trend bases don't. [/url]

Do you mean the stand-alone base? That's unfortunate.

The whole seat/base combo does, for anyone else reading this - it's hanging on a little loop of elastic under the cover on the child's left? side, right by where the handle attaches.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC