rear facing or forward facing on the plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steph

Okay so we are flying at the end of October with Ryan for the first time. Should he go rear facing in his BV or forward facing (we are flying express jets and I'm wondering the space issue and if the person in front won't be able to recline at all)? I want him rear facing for many reasons but mostly to face me, KWIM?

Also this is a totally dumb question but do I tether his BV rear facing??:eek:

Oh and if it will help he will be 19 months old and he currently weighs 28 pounds and is 33 inches long.

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
I would....... RF if it would fit in the space, if not then I'd obviously have to FF! I'm not sure if you should tether it RF?

natysr

I would RF him too. I like having him RF on the plane. The person in front of him will not be able to put his seat back. But the good news is your son won't be able to kick the seatback either.

Someone on this board told me that you cannot tether on a plane. I didn't know that, and I did tether it, because once someone in front of him slamed his seat back so violently that it pushed DS's seat so far upright, the back of the base wasn't even in contact with the plane seat. I don't think I've ever been that mad in my life at someone. So the next leg of the flight I tethered it to prevent another passenger from doing that....it did work for that purpose though.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Rearfacing on planes is so convenient--no dropped toys (well, okay, LESS), no kicking the seat in front of him, etc.

I'd definitely go rearfacing in your situation.

I have not yet seen/heard of planes that tether child restraints, you would be best to give them a call, then you know if you need extra time and maybe assistance for this.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't tether it personally. We just flew Express Jet and I LOVED them, so let me know what you think. I fit the Safeseat and the Scenera (rfing) in their seats just fine. No, the person couldn't recline, but it wasn't pushing into their seats or anything and no one cared. I think people would take quiet, happy children over reclining anyday. :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think so. In my car right now, the Safeseat and BV are at the same recline (I should take a pic, it's interesting to see if nothing else, lol) and I think since the SS fit just fine the BV should b/c it wouldn't be as reclined as the SS was. Does that make sense?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
We've traveled with Piper's Wizard (the old Boulevard) quite a bit. It fits fine RFing. Easier to install and uninstall than FFing big time.

You don't tether the seats. Just the seatbelt.

And if the person in front of you can't recline, tough. They didn't buy a ticket to recline their seat (not all seats on a plane recline anyway) they bought a ticket to get from point A to point B.

Wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC