Help! Apex install question!

Am trying to install the Apex 65 in my 1994 4runner. The problem is the belt path is so high the the buckle is getting stuck on the edge/corner of belt path when I buckle the seat belt. I can't get it to move either direction. Does this make sense? Sorry, I don't know the lingo but I'm getting really frustrated. Is there anything I can do to move beyond this?

ADS

mykidsmylife

Can you twist the female end of the buckle to make it shorter? Maybe that way the buckle wont get caught in the path.

I have the Apex and it is a pain with latch. I havent even attempted it with the seatbelt yet.

Last edited:

MySillyKids

:yeahthat:

I have only installed it with the seat belt, and i have gotten some rock solid installs with out the tether.

Good luck!

Do I twist the male or female end? Just wanted to clarify that. Yes, I have room to do so either way. But, here's another question. I was reading the manual and it says that in order to lock the belt I need to fully extend seat belt, then retract as far as possible. So, I'm not sure if I need a locking clip. If I do not, this would make install possible. If I do need the clip I have no idea where it will fit it. Does this make sense?

tjham

The end you would twist is the short end that the buckle tongue goes into. You can twist the stalk up to 3 times. I thought that was the female end :confused:.

daycaremom2002

You twist the female end of the buckle. The end that is on the bottom of the seat near the seat bight(crack) You can twist it 3 full turns (360 degrees each turn. All the way around)

Did the vehicle manual say to pull out the seatbelt, or the carseat manual?

If you pull your seatbelt all the way out, does it click as it retracts back in? If so, then you have switchable retractors and you don't need a locking clip. If it does not click on the way back in, then you may need one, but I am not sure if your vehicle has locking latch plates or not. I will defer to a tech on that one.

Good luck. I installed an Apex for a friend of mine, and I wish I could use them in my van. They are awesome seats.

I pulled the seat belt all the way out and I'm not sure if it clicks or not. Sort of makes a "ratcheting" kind of sound about 3/4 of the way then just kind of slides back in. It does "catch" if I jerk it but I'm still confused. Ugh!

daycaremom2002

The ratcheting sound is the retractor. You should be able to install your seat, pull it tight, then pull the shoulder belt completely out and ratchet it back in. It will lock up and hold the carseat tight.

So, you twist the female end of the buckle up to 3 full turns, then you thread the seatbelt and pull it tight. While you are holding it tight, pull the shoulder belt all the way out and let it ratchet back in. Once it is ratcheted as far as it will go, see if the seat is tight enough. If it is still a little loose, then you can carefully unbuckle the seatbelt, let the seatbelt click back in another click or two, then rebuckle. I might take more than one person to get the buckle back together, but it should be tight when you are done.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
I pulled the seat belt all the way out and I'm not sure if it clicks or not. Sort of makes a "ratcheting" kind of sound about 3/4 of the way then just kind of slides back in. It does "catch" if I jerk it but I'm still confused. Ugh!

what year, make, and model is your vehicle? This may help determine what type of seatbelt system you have. Also check the seat belt and child restraint sections your vehicle manual.

I read the manual for my 1994 Toyota 4Runner and it doesn't say anything about ALR/ELR belts. It only says to fully extend seat belt then release to tightly secure child restraint. I did discover though that the the actually "male" buckle is sliding, therefore I need a locking clip. I hope there is room for one here otherwise I'm in trouble!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I read the manual for my 1994 Toyota 4Runner and it doesn't say anything about ALR/ELR belts. It only says to fully extend seat belt then release to tightly secure child restraint. I did discover though that the the actually "male" buckle is sliding, therefore I need a locking clip. I hope there is room for one here otherwise I'm in trouble!
No...if the manual for the car says to pull it all the way out, then it's supposed to lock tightly, and you don't need a locking clip. Try sitting in the vehicle yourself, buckling up, then pulling the shoulderbelt all the way out. If it retracts and holds you in, that's perfect for installing the Apex. Don't worry about the sliding latchplate on the male end, it's of no consequence in a ff seat with a switchable retractor. But if things are getting jammed up in the belt path, twist down the female side/buckle to make it shorter so the latchplate/buckle don't get hooked on the side of the seat/in the belt path.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
No...if the manual for the car says to pull it all the way out, then it's supposed to lock tightly, and you don't need a locking clip. Try sitting in the vehicle yourself, buckling up, then pulling the shoulderbelt all the way out. If it retracts and holds you in, that's perfect for installing the Apex. Don't worry about the sliding latchplate on the male end, it's of no consequence in a ff seat with a switchable retractor. But if things are getting jammed up in the belt path, twist down the female side/buckle to make it shorter so the latchplate/buckle don't get hooked on the side of the seat/in the belt path.

:yeahthat:

You can also remove the cover from the side wing of the seat, to have better access to the belt path. You can get a better angle for tightening and can see if there is any slack in the shoulder portion of the belt. Sometimes my seatbelt gets a little twisted in the belt path and it's difficult to tighter, so partially removing the cover helps me see where it is. You can just slip the cover back over the side wing when you are done.

O.K. I think I did it-I hope someone is still out there! I twisted the belt stalk 3 half turns, buckled it, and pulled and tugged as tight as I could. It seems to be pretty solid but I am wondering about a few things. The female end is turned against the seat. Is that ok? Would it push against the seat and unbuckle in an accident? I doesn't seem so as I'm pretty sure there are no fingers attached to my seat. And the other question is the seat belt seems bunched up at the corner where it is buckled,where it overlaps on itself-wish I knew what to call this spot, the 90 degree angle where male/female ends meet-sorry!

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
The female end turned against the seat is fine. It's probably less likely to become unbuckled that way. Some parents with older rear-facing kids purposely flip the buckle to face the seat so that their child can't accidentally (or purposely for that matter) kick the buckle and unlatch the seatbelt.

The seat belt bunching at the edge of the belt path nearest where the seat belt buckles happens to me all the time. As long as the belt is snug and not twisted in the belt path, it sounds fine to me. Be prepared for your seat belt to stay "wrinkled" in that spot for some time if you ever uninstall the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC