Flying to grandma's house- what to do about a seat?

MoonRocket

I am taking my 40lb 44" tall 4 year old to my moms. I'm trying to decide what to about seats. (She is the size of many of the 6yos at her school.)

We have a radian and a secure kid but she outgrew her RA50 and we passed it on. Both of those seats seem huge to travel with.

When we get there we will have a 40 minute drive home and spend very little time in the car til we go back.

I can't decide if I should bring a seat, or just order a turbo booster or something inexpensive that can live there and be used the twice a year we are there - they pick us up at the airport. I sit next to her in the car and she always rides very well harnessed.

What do you suggest?

ADS

1mommy

Hmm my first thought is the RiderSafer Travel Vest, but its expensive if you will only need 1 to 2 times a year for the next 2 years or so until she is ready to sit in a booster. A booster might not be out of the question as long as you make sure the fit is good, and you work with her before hand to know the expectations such as sitting still and no leaning over. The fact that you will be sitting next to her does help, but I'm still not sure I'd be comfortable with my son when he's 4 in a HBB, the current studies do show no difference in safety if your child is in a booster at 4/40 pounds as long as they have the maturity to sit still....but personally I would order Grandma a Combination seat (a harness seat that later becomes a booster). The Evenflo Secure Kid is a good budget choiceas long as your DD has not outgrown it. Since your DD is tall I would lean more towards the Britax Frontier's as they are taller and will give your child more room to grow, but they are expensive for an occasional seat.

aeormsby

If you're sitting next to her I think a booster would work. If you're next to her you could make sure she's sitting properly and reminder if needed.

YinzerMama

My girls started using a booster in DH's car at 4 and did great (my oldest actually started at 3 but I don't advise that, things were different then). The gracos fit small kids really well. I would probably order one to grandma's house, they can have it in the care for picking you up, and you can use it for the next few years.

I really like the safety surround turbos that were just on sale at Target - I don't know that I'd pay full price for one as a sometimes seat, though.

The affix is very similar but imo spiffier looking - you can often find a deal on a red one on amazon open box for 55ish, I recently got one for 51.

jjordan

If you're sitting next to her I think a booster would work. If you're next to her you could make sure she's sitting properly and reminder if needed.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Alternately, you could have your parents get a harnessed seat, especially a good option if it would get use with other grandchildren. But I wouldn't bring a seat on the plane, personally.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
While a booster is an acceptable choice, I would probably just go ahead and take a Radian since you have one. I know it's heavy, but it folds flat to go through the x-ray machine, and it's narrow enough to pull down the aisle of the airplane on a luggage cart, and low-profile enough to fit comfortably in an airplane seat.

That said... I haven't actually done it yet. I'm taking my Radian on a plane next month and I can let you know whether it's as easy as I'm making it sound. ;)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah you couldn't pay me enough to convince me to take a Radian on another plane. My new xtsl was damaged by the x ray machine, and my kid was miserable because she was super uncomfortable. On that plane the seats had pillows which made the Radian so upright it was ridiculous. Some people love it though.

Pixels

I've flown several times with Radians. Most recently was me and my husband, two Radians, one baby who could not walk, one toddler who decided not to walk, and a well-behaved five year old. It was not exactly easy but it was a whole lot easier than it would have been with any other harnessed seat.

I put a Harmony Folding Booster in my checked luggage for the five year old and carried on a Bubble Bum in case luggage got lost.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I love flying with the Radian. Last time I did it, I was 8 months pregnant and wore it on my back. Fold it up, throw on a carry strap or two, and you're good to go. I know not everyone agrees, but I wouldn't dismiss it too quickly.

T4K

Let's face it. Flying with car seats pretty much stinks and I've done it with like 5 different types. I have flown with the Radian the most because it's size.

When the plane isn't taking off and landing, I make a total parental decision and pull the Radian forward on the seat and jam the top into the back of he seat to create a better recline.

MoonRocket

Thank you for all of the ideas! I have about a month and a half before we go, so I think I"ll try her in a booster and see how she does. We have been working on chairlift riding and the rules seem like they are pretty much the same as with a booster.

If it does not go well I will take a seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC