Anyone successfully RF a Foonf on Southwest?

TN2TX

I will be flying in a few weeks with my 6 month old in his Foonf. I want to be prepared and stash the RF'ing base in my backpack if there is no way in heck I will be able to get it installed RF. Thanks!

ADS

kaharris83

I will be flying in a few weeks with my 6 month old in his Foonf. I want to be prepared and stash the RF'ing base in my backpack if there is no way in heck I will be able to get it installed RF. Thanks!

We have not flown with our Foonf but just got off a Southwest flight last night. I was very surprised to see how little room my CCO had RFing. It fit but very upright. In my mind there's now way the Foonf would fit RFing at all.

T4K

I know people have flown with foonfs and successfully FF them but I'd rather spend a little money and take something much less bulky with me.

YinzerMama

I would beg, borrow, or steal a bucket or other light weight seat to avoid this. Not only the install on the plane but lugging that seat around for travel.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador

I don't have a foonf and I am not a tech, so forgive me if I am confused...

You mention that you will be storing the RF base if you can't get it to fit RF. Is your plan to then use the Foonf forward-facing? My understanding is that you would not be allowed to do so, since your child does not meet the FF requirements of the seat.

TN2TX

I don't have a foonf and I am not a tech, so forgive me if I am confused...

You mention that you will be storing the RF base if you can't get it to fit RF. Is your plan to then use the Foonf forward-facing? My understanding is that you would not be allowed to do so, since your child does not meet the FF requirements of the seat.

Well crap. I am confused now because I have seen several different and contradicting rules about flying with the seat. I've seen both what you said about always following the stickers on the seat and I have also seen 20lb+ (which he is) will forward face, regardless of age. I would much rather RF in a bulkhead row but I fear the chances of getting that seat are slim to none.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you are on a US based airline (southwest) you must follow the directions of the seat for minimums to forward-face. While they may recommend 20-40 lbs. in a harness, they actually allow rear-facing as long as the seat can be installed and the child is within the limits.

Now, if you need a specific seat within the same class- like the bulkhead- they are required to make reasonable accomodations, including moving people to seat you there. Since Southwest has open seating, you can let them know as you board that your child's seat will only fit in the bulkhead row (if that is true) and they should move people to seat you there. (You may want to bring the FAA paper stating that they are required to do so in case you run into a non-accomodating flight crew, if you plan to do that...)

You might want to bring a different seat instead, like a Cosco Scenera, that will fit in any seat.

TN2TX

If you are on a US based airline (southwest) you must follow the directions of the seat for minimums to forward-face. While they may recommend 20-40 lbs. in a harness, they actually allow rear-facing as long as the seat can be installed and the child is within the limits.

Now, if you need a specific seat within the same class- like the bulkhead- they are required to make reasonable accomodations, including moving people to seat you there. Since Southwest has open seating, you can let them know as you board that your child's seat will only fit in the bulkhead row (if that is true) and they should move people to seat you there. (You may want to bring the FAA paper stating that they are required to do so in case you run into a non-accomodating flight crew, if you plan to do that...)

You might want to bring a different seat instead, like a Cosco Scenera, that will fit in any seat.

Thanks for the clarification!

We were prepared when we bought the Foonf to travel with it, despite its weight. We especially want it at this particular destination… the CO Rockies. The last time we were there, a nasty winter storm hit and turned the interstate into a demolition derby on ice. Several cars missed us by inches. We just feel better about the trip if LO is strapped in “the tank” (Foonf).

Thanks for everyone’s help. I will try to take pictures and post a follow up in case this ever comes up again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC