Seating preference with 3 across all RFing

ebp913

I will have 3 rear facers come August in our '13 Expedition EL and my husband's '09 GMC Sierra. I'm just curious what your seating placement preference would be in this scenario. Initially I thought the newborn in the middle but now I can't really imagine that I'll be able to lift the Keyfit over the other seats and into the center. I'm no wimp but this sounds tough, especially in an SUV. And obviously I won't be able to sit down next to the seat in the middle for buckling purposes either.

I know all the seats will fit so puzzling isn't the issue, just asking about what would be logistically easiest day to day from anyone with 3 across experience with kids who can't buckle themselves.

Playing with a Guide 65/Peg Convertible for my oldest (will be 34 months), Coccoro for the middle child (will be 18 months), and a Keyfit for the newborn.

ADS

gigi

I'd put the oldest in the middle and teach her to buckle ASAP. CCO behind passenger and infant behind driver. If adjustments need to be made, switch them around.

Edited for typo :)

Last edited:

Gidgetc13

If you can manage to lift the Keyfit up over one of the outboard seats and into the middle, I personally think that would be the easiest. I have three across with a FF in the middle and RFs on each side. The baby is in an infant seat but since it has been cold/snowy I end up putting him in the car before I get my oldest buckled in the middle. I then have to reach over one of the outboard children to buckle in DD1, unless I reach back from up front which is not easy in my car. Being able to buckle up the child in the middle before getting everyone out to the car would make things so much easier! If you can't fit the Keyfit up over one of the outboard seats I would put your oldest in the middle since they can at least help a little with buckling. My DD1 is 4 and is nowhere near being able to buckle herself. She can do her chest clip but that's about it. It would be great if she could buckle herself.

ebp913

Thanks ladies. I can probably manage the baby in the middle for awhile at the beginning while they aren't that heavy but maybe I will just get a better excuse to move the baby to the CCO and get the Foonf I have been wanting!

I'll also work on getting DD to start buckling herself. It would be awesome if she could do half of it. And thinking about it now, it might be easier to have baby in the Keyfit on the ground while I help my oldest buckle in the middle seat then put the Keyfit on the base after I'm done. We'll see!

ebp913

I'd put the baby outboard. You can sit on the base to buckle up the kid in the center.

Yea I think that makes sense. We have a nanny too do the older kids don't have to go in the car as often but the baby is going to have like a million appointments those first few months.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One thing you might consider is a low-profile seat for one of the bigs. A Radian, for example, would make it easy to sit an infant seat cross-wise on it then lift & turn into the center. For me, it's easier to do it in two steps, but YMMV :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC