Question Tall parents really need help installing FF and RF seats in 2011 Ford Escape and 2010 Ford Focus

margotdarko

Good afternoon! We have a three year old son currently FF in a Britax Marathon 70 in the middle seat, one in each of our two cars. Our new baby is due March 4 and we bought her a Graco SnugRide 35. We had the same when our son was little and really love the click base. We already have two bases and a stroller for it, so I really don't want to have buy any different seats to make this work.

I know the ideal is our son to stay in the middle seat and to have the baby RF in behind the driver, but it doesn't fit that way in either car because my husband and I are both over 6'0" tall and we both need our seats all the way back.

For the Ford Escape, our best solution we think is the FF seat behind the driver and the RF seat in the middle. One of the seats will have to use the safety belt instead of the LATCH since they can't share the latch. Which seat is better using the LATCH or does that not matter? We have tethers in all spots for the FF seat in both cars.

For the Ford Focus, the seats won't even fit next to each other at all. So we would have the FF seat behind the driver and the RF seat behind the passenger seat with no possibility of all four of us going somewhere in the car at the same time since neither of the adults would fit in the passenger seat with it pushed forward enough to for the RF seat.

Does anyone have any advice? Please let me know if you need any more information. I'd hate to move the FF seat out of the middle spot, especially since my son is so used to sitting in that spot and can be a weirdo about change, but I just don't know what to do.

We're going to make our best attempt and make sure to get it inspected before the baby arrives. Are there any tips on getting the inspection done? We have a police station nearby that does safety checks by appointment. Should I be able to just trust whatever they say?

ADS

MotoMommaNH

Hi and Welcome,

Congrats on the new baby to come!

I'm going through a very similar thing as you wheras my as my 3.5 yo son is FF in a Marathon70 and I am trying to fit a Chicco Keyfit next to that seat. The Keyfit is actually narrower than the Snugride and usually 3 across friendly etc and it wouldn't even fit. The way the handle hits that flare in the front of the Marathon pushes them too far apart. I have a 2010 Honda Accord.
I'm going to try and answer the rest of your questions within your text:

Good afternoon! We have a three year old son currently FF in a Britax Marathon 70 in the middle seat, one in each of our two cars. Our new baby is due March 4 and we bought her a Graco SnugRide 35. We had the same when our son was little and really love the click base. We already have two bases and a stroller for it, so I really don't want to have buy any different seats to make this work.

I know the ideal is our son to stay in the middle seat and to have the baby RF in behind the driver, but it doesn't fit that way in either car because my husband and I are both over 6'0" tall and we both need our seats all the way back.

For the Ford Escape, our best solution we think is the FF seat behind the driver and the RF seat in the middle. One of the seats will have to use the safety belt instead of the LATCH since they can't share the latch. Which seat is better using the LATCH or does that not matter? We have tethers in all spots for the FF seat in both cars.

I would depend this answer on the weight of your FF child. He may or may not be at the LATCH weight limits for your Fords. Those are 48 LB child weight only. If the FF is over that, then obviously use seatbelt and top tether for him and LATCH for the baby. OR if it fits better use seatbelt for both (which you may end up needing to do when placing seats next to each other)

For the Ford Focus, the seats won't even fit next to each other at all. So we would have the FF seat behind the driver and the RF seat behind the passenger seat with no possibility of all four of us going somewhere in the car at the same time since neither of the adults would fit in the passenger seat with it pushed forward enough to for the RF seat.

Does anyone have any advice?
Unfortunately this is the situation you may be stuck in with the Focus being a smaller car like it is. :( RF seat behind passenger and FF behind driver.

Please let me know if you need any more information. I'd hate to move the FF seat out of the middle spot, especially since my son is so used to sitting in that spot and can be a weirdo about change, but I just don't know what to do.

We're going to make our best attempt and make sure to get it inspected before the baby arrives. Are there any tips on getting the inspection done? We have a police station nearby that does safety checks by appointment. Should I be able to just trust whatever they say?

Make sure you are checking the SafeKids website to make sure whomever you are going to see at this police station is a CURRENTLy certified CPST. http://cert.safekids.org/

hope this helps!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Just to expand slightly on Michelle's answers:

- It's possible that if you're willing to get different car seats for your Focus you may be able to fit the entire family in it. It would likely require narrower seats than what you're currently using, so it's up to you whether this is important enough to spend maybe $150-$400 or not. We should be able to help you figure out some combination of seats that would work for you for that vehicle.

- In addition to making sure that your tech's certification is up to date, it's also important to read your manuals and double-check anything they say that might sound off. Just like in EVERY profession, some techs are better than others. Whether it's your car seat tech or your doctor, lawyer, or pharmacist, when it's something this important there is no substitute for being diligent and doing your own homework. That said, the odds are in favor of you getting some good, helpful advice when you meet with a currently certified car seat technician. If you do have any doubts, please feel free to come back here and run it by some other techs.

Not all techs are publicly listed, so if the one you are going to doesn't show up in the search just ask to see their card. Let the tech know when you make the appointment that you would like to see his or her card; hardly anybody ever asks for verification so he or she may be out of the habit of carrying the card with him for presentation at a moment's notice.

margotdarko

Thank you both for the helpful replies!

My son in the FF seat is 41 pounds. He might be 42 pounds now, but he still has a while before he'll reach 48 pounds I think. Though maybe we should just use the belt path for his now so we don't have to worry about changing it around or accidentally keeping him in the seat with LATCH past 48 pounds. He only gets officially weighed at his yearly check up in September now.

The certification site link is much appreciated! I had only been using the national highway website to look up safety check sites. And that's a great tip to ask the tech about their certification when making the appointment. :)

I don't think we can change car seats really. Our budget is already tighter than expected, and we already have the extra car seat base and the stroller frame, and I just can't imagine having to buckle in and unbuckle a newborn/young baby every time if we got two different narrower seats plus a new stroller for her instead of the one seat and two bases and stroller frame that all works together. So that sounds like the compromise then! Sticking with the SnugRide that clicks in and out, and makes getting the baby in and out so much easier for us, and making do with not being able to all ride together in the one car. At least we can work out a way to all fit in my Escape.

Thank you again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC