Britax Boulevard 65 - Straps too short?

LisaF27

Morning!

I searched for other answers to this, but didn't see any recent threads - forgive me if I've missed any.

We just got a Boulevard 65, and the straps are SO short. My son is 35 pounds, and 35 inches, and there's no way this seat will last on him. I've spoken to Britax, and they're sending me the strap extenders and said to take the HUGS straps off; they said this will give ~4 extra inches?

For a seat that's supposed to fit up to 65 pounds and 49 inches, this seems off. What am I missing?

Thanks!

ADS

aeormsby

I'm going to start with asking for some info...

Is your DS Rear facing still? What seat is he moving from (Why did you get the Boulevard at this point)?

Kids don't generally don't fit in seats until they reach the limits. I don't have any experience with the newer Britax convertibles but I know my DD grew out of our older marathon around age 5 & 40lb (maybe even before). Her shoulders were at the top harness position and she was getting pretty squished in it also.

So if you just got the Blvd I was just curious why. It may not be the best choice for your child at this point. If he's still RF (which is great!!) there are definitely other seats that will fit better. If he's FF there are also other seats that may make more sense (and you NEED to leave the hugs on for FF, they are optional when RF but required when FF).

LisaF27

He is still RF.

We originally had the Safety 1st Complete Air65 LX, but got rid of it because the straps kept twisting, and were so hard to tighten properly - huge hassle, and we never felt like he was strapped in properly. Too bad, because that seat has such high RF limits.

We got the Boulevard because we'd read good reviews, and because we hit a good sale.

The harness isn't at the highest level yet - it could go up a bit more (by moving the whole head thing up). But, moving it up just means the straps would get tighter. Even with the strap extenders, that's not much more play. I can't imagine how a 65 pound kid would fit into this seat?

And no, no jacket.

tiggercat

Any chance we could see a pic of him buckled into the seat? It helps trouble shoot what could be going wrong.

I can say that my 4.5 year old has plenty of harness length left in a boulevard, despite being near the top harness setting and thus nearly outgrown. I tried him out in one for a friend and was surprised to see he still fit nicely. He is around 43lb and 43 inches, and definitely wouldn't fit in that seat until anywhere near 65lb/49in. Those are the maxiumum limits, not the expected size the seat will last until.

LisaF27

tiggercat, what model year is yours? Apparently, the older ones had longer straps, and the 2013 models have much shorter ones (and thus they're offering strap extenders?)

I'll take some pics tonight.

U

Unregistered

Yes, the car seat harness is way too short for the weights they advertised. I called Britax and they sent me a longer harness that can accommodate a child over 20 pounds. The car seat is supposed to accommodate a child up to 65 pounds. Now my child is 42 pounds and the longer harness is, once again, too short. I called Britax again but they no longer have any harness longer than what they sent me. So a car seat designed to seat a child up to 65 pounds cannot accommodate my child of 45 pounds. I live in Vancouver, Canada.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC