Question Am I imagining this?

purplemama

Didn't Graco start using those black IMMI chest clips? I *think* I remember seeing that but I'm not sure.

The morning of the recall I had written and requested a new buckle and chest clip for DS1's seat. I got it today and it's the same grey Graco chest clip. And neither DH or I can get it open. I'd like the totally different black one but I want to make sure I'm not just remembering wrong before I ask (if I can through to someone at Graco at this point).

ADS

purplemama

Hmmmm. I have no idea if I was thinking they were the same or not. I just remembered something about it.

I can't use the grey one I got at all, it simply doesn't open, I can't even get it to open from the back (which would be pointless anyway). I'll have to try to get ahold of Graco and see what they say. Probably to clean it because it's food and drink causing it to be difficult.

canadiangie

I can't speak for the US, but in Canada I'm seeing black Graco chest clips that are total beasts to open. You need to pinch both prongs and then wiggle the two pieces apart. It makes a clicky sound and the two pieces grind a bit as they come away from eachother.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The black one on my recent My Ride was identical to all other grey Graco chest clips I've had since 2006. Except it was very hard to open. For some reason, DH had the knack and could press the tongues in the exact place for it to pop open. But I'd fight with it to get it open. It was bizarre and one of the reasons the seat went back. I practiced probably 50 times and got it to open nice maybe twice.

babyherder

How can I get this impossible to open chest clip? I hate that rear facing kids can free themselves from the myride and I can't see.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I hate it and I hate that the new ones have a black harness and black chest clip. It makes the chest clip blend in so in an emergency, once someone even noticed there was a chest clip, they wouldn't be able to open it.

While I understand wanting something more difficult for a child, this one has gone beyond and is potentially dangerous IMO.

purplemama

So there is basically no hope to get a Graco chest clip that is easy to open? Lovely, now I have to sell DS2's Nautilus and figure something different out for him.

MommyShannon

Yeah, we just got an Argos. It had the IMMI bottom buckle and a black chest clip but it's just like the ones they've always had but harder to open. It opens ok for me as long as I pinch right at the right edge instead of the middle if the pushy parts. How bad would it be to use old, "expired" ones?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Graco does have both black and gray chest clips now, but I'm not aware of what to ask for when you call them as far as hard or easy to open.

YinzerMama

Graco seems to have really taken that "your kid is not getting out of this seat" thing and ran with it.

Wonder if was a bad production run or something? Or the black plastic doesn't have the same flex as the gray? Hopefully if people complain they will fix this faster than they fixed the buckle thing.

purplemama

I heard back from Graco they are sending me 3 new chest clips, one for a myride and 2 for Nautilus? I said in my email that the one chest clip they sent didn't work, what should I do? And to please send me 2 new buckles to replace the ones on 2 myrides that are part of the recall. I guess things are still a little crazy there at Graco. Imagine that.
They also said that it will be awhile for the buckles, that they are currently out of stock and waiting on another shipment.

Are the buckles and chest clips the same on the myride and nautilus?

babyherder

I never thought about the chest clip blending into the harness before. Interesting point. My evenflo seats have black harnesses and black chest clips. I'll have to try a difficult graco one for myself before I decide if its so hard to open its dangerous. Dang kids being kids and trying to get out!!!!

babyherder

I tried out a new gray difficult to open chest clip today (thanks, purplemama). I can open it no problem, although it does hurt my fingers to do it several times in a row. I have to pinch it and wiggle it while pulling apart. I think my nanny girl will not be able to open it but I easily can in an emergency. I pulled it apart seconds after I first held it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC