Question Would you buy a new seat for this situation?

MotoMommaNH

With a newbie on the way in 12ish weeks, I went to play carseat shuffle in my garage yesterday. What else is there to do when its blizzarding out??

2010 Accord and I have a FF 3.5yo in a MA 70. Purchased a Chicco Keyfit for said newbie. G really likes sit in the middle and when we move him outboard to fit other passengers he always asks to move back. He "likes to see". Of course, since he is FF, Id love him in middle too.

Problem is, the two seats do NOT nest together. I tried both seatbelt and LATCH with the Keyfit base. The handle hits right where the MA70 flares out. Baseless install is a no go since hubby will use this car periodically and he can't and won't try (which is fine, I'd rather him not)

G has maybe two more clicks until he's maxed the harness. So I know eventually we will need a new seat anyway. I was planning on getting him one for his 4th birthday in September, assuming we make it that long. Planning on a FR90 because of the long torso he has and height seems to always be 85%.

So, question is: should I buy a new seat now? Harmony Defender? In hopes that he will fit center next to Keyfit? Or is it over thinking and just be happy with two solid outboard installs?
Thanks if you got this far reading!

ADS
I would just be happy with two outboard installs since this issue sounds inevitable. I'd just get the "I need to be in the middle" thing over with now so that when the baby comes he doesn't attribute it to said new child. Yay for new babies!!!

MotoMommaNH

Oooh see...that's why I come here for advice. I wouldn't have even thought about the attributing him moving because of the new babe.

rachelandtyke

I agree, I'd do it now so he doesn't blame it on the baby. Also, once baby is here, you might find anyway that he pesters the baby being right next to it and you'd end up moving him anyway. He is very safe properly harnessed in his properly installed seat, so I wouldn't be concerned about on outboard install.

MotoMommaNH

Its hilarious how kids get over stuff so quickly....this afternoon he mentions upon driving home how he can see through his "spy goggles". Um, there aren't any toys on his hands he's just sort of crouching down looking straight ahead.

Then I figured out he was looking through the headrest posts hahaha. After informing him he couldn't do that center and he'd have to stay on the side to use his spy goggles, he happily complied.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC