FYI: Graco recall (sticking buckles)

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
This happened to us regularly in the My Rides that first came to Canada in fall '09. Was very annoying. But we never had to cut the straps. I just loosened the harness and wiggled her out. I can see how that would be more difficult with a larger child and not as much harness leeway.

I didn't have any other option but to keep the seat though as there were only 2 options for seats over 35# RF then and the other didn't work for us.

MommyShannon

Doesn't Evenflo use those too? I've heard complaints about buckling them, but nothing about getting stuck. Did Graco get all the bad ones or just the massive number of Graco seats make it bigger? I'm happy to have the new buckle though apparently the crotch pad is still sized for the old, old buckle and slide right off the new ones. The Velcro needs to be moved over just a little bit.

YinzerMama

I loved the round buckles!

The years seem to cover 2 kinds though. I wonder if evenflo will be having a recall as well?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
.... and, let panic ensue. Link to the Graco announcement if anyone wants to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Kind of funny they say it was food or liquid. The first time it happened to us was a day or two after we got the seat. No food or liquids had been in the seat. Graco told me it may have shavings from manufacturing inside so to rinse it out. I did. But we still had the issue. The buckle did rattle like there was loose stuff inside so I always thought it was a manufacturing issue.

I loved the round buckles! The years seem to cover 2 kinds though. I wonder if evenflo will be having a recall as well?

Ya because I swear we had the old buckle. Because I hadn't seen the new buckle until we got our SR35 in 2011.

MommyShannon

I just know about the old, old round buckle that you sort of pulled down to unbuckle. I loved that on our old nautilus seats. Then there were the small round ones that made me avoid Graco for a bit. Now they have the ones like Britax that are square. Were there 2 smaller round ones?

YinzerMama

Ah. I thought you meant the OLD round ones, with the half circle buttons. I think of the awful middle buckles (amsafe) as the rounded-corner-triangle-button ones. I guess they were roundish. Yes I avoided Graco over that. Now there are the square ones.

Amy7707

After over an hour on hold with Graco (I immediately called them when I heard about the recall), they disconnected my call and told me to try back at another time. :mad:

I was trying to miss the influx of calls - when I was first on hold my wait time was 5 minutes. They must have stopped answering their phones when the announcement went public!!

MommyShannon

Ah. I thought you meant the OLD round ones, with the half circle buttons. I think of the awful middle buckles (amsafe) as the rounded-corner-triangle-button ones. I guess they were roundish. Yes I avoided Graco over that. Now there are the square ones.
Maybe they aren't quite round. I tried them in stores and then avoided them. I love the OLD round ones too. All ours had those. I was happy my new seat had the new one but felt a bit nostalgic for the others.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
After over an hour on hold with Graco (I immediately called them when I heard about the recall), they disconnected my call and told me to try back at another time. :mad: I was trying to miss the influx of calls - when I was first on hold my wait time was 5 minutes. They must have stopped answering their phones when the announcement went public!!

It's more likely that their phone system that handles and routes calls was overloaded and crashed. I'd think a large company like Graco would have a prepared response for their CSRs prior to releasing this info and have prepped staff for the higher call volume.

Amy7707

It's more likely that their phone system that handles and routes calls was overloaded and crashed. I'd think a large company like Graco would have a prepared response for their CSRs prior to releasing this info and have prepped staff for the higher call volume.

Good point. I just assumed a big company like Graco would have adequate infrastructure.

ETA: I just called back and got an automated message to try again later and they disconnected again. I guess I'll try emailing them.

jjordan

Ha ha, Facebook is going crazy with this!

I posted the link to the Graco announcement on mine with the note that there is no need to panic. One of my friends says her husband has been making fun of her because she has had to call him home to get their toddler out of her car seat before. So now she feels vindicated!

YinzerMama

I doubt any company has the infrastructure to handle 4 years' worth of panicking mothers.

I think it was a bad move to mention food and drink... I'm already seeing the newstory comments blaming the parents.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay so from pics, I believe I had the original round buckle that was awesome on my SafeSeat but stuck in my My Rides. So mine was before they changed to the buckle that caused all the issues. My seats were manufactured fall of '09 so would be part of the recall (but I don't have them anymore). My SR35 had the buckle that was prone to problems, and I never had any problems with it.

Pic of the buckle I had is in one of the pics in this post of mine http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=1075079&postcount=1

TeenaMarie

Are both the previous buckles on the recall?
And would a t-tario be included since its made by graco? My nephews seat has the push down buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC