Horrible head slump with FR90?

essnce629

I've owned both the FR80 and FR85 and NEVER once had head slump with DS1 or DS2. Now I have a FR90 and every time DS2 (4.5 yrs old) falls asleep he has horrible head slump. We've had the red/black model in all three seats but the fabric on the FR90 seems more slippery and DS2's head slips down the second he falls asleep. I have the same car (Mazda5) that I had with all three Frontiers so that hasn't changed. DS2 is using it in hardness mode AND it's in the reclined position. Even if I recline the 2nd row captain's chair 1, 2, or 3 clicks he still has head slump the second he falls asleep. His harness is tight but his head is still completely falling forward and it looks really bad. One of the reasons I've always loved our Frontiers is that we've never had head slump ever. So what's going on? Anyone experiencing the same thing with their FR90???

ADS

Phineasmama

Yeah we definitely had some head slump with the FR90. I reclined the seat a little and that helped, but it didn't make it the same as the FR85.

amandaj553

Yep, we have both a Frontier 85 and a Frontier 90 installed... my DS doesn't have headslump in the 85, but DD in her 90 does. Maybe I'll have to try switching their seats on the next long car ride just to justify that it isn't the age difference making her head fall forward. And our 90 is reclined as much as it can be.

tiggercat

Sam had to learn to sleep in his FRct (90 in US). He props his elbows up on the armrests, crosses his legs, and tilts his head up and back. If he doesn't, his head hangs like a rag doll and it look awful :(

Phineasmama

I actually obtained a FR85 from my BFF and sold my FR90 because I started to panic that I would miss the FR85 like I did my Regent that I stupidly sold :rolleyes: I don't regret my decision though. The FR85 works great in my van and I need the extra height because I lose so much with my sloped seats. So it's not like I can get a Prosport or something.

ks227

DD (3.5 years) does have some head slump in the FR90. It looks really uncomfortable even though she says it isn't, so I told her to rest her head against the side of the headwings if she feels like she wants to sleep. That seemed to help!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Sorry, I don't have a Frontier or a FF child, so I can't help with this issue, but I am wondering something and this seems like the thread to ask -- is head slump dangerous or just uncomfortable?

MommyShannon

Sorry, I don't have a Frontier or a FF child, so I can't help with this issue, but I am wondering something and this seems like the thread to ask -- is head slump dangerous or just uncomfortable?
For a newborn it's dangerous. For older kids it's just potentially uncomfortable. It didn't always bother my kids, but they seemed to sleep better in the FR85 without head slump.

Aurezalia

I don't think we've had any head slump issues with the fr90, and I've had it installed both with and without the recline. Some kids just must naturally position themselves well for sleep, and others are noodlier?

Without recline:
image-223679011.jpg

With:
image-529848333.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC