Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

monza reha latch/footrest question

I have a question from a friend. Her daughter is almost nine and has mitochondrial disorder. A trusted friend is letting them borrow a Recaro Monza Reha while they wait for her to get fitted for a SN seat because her tone isn't good enough for a traditional booster. They are using it as a booster with seat belt, table/tray and foot rest base. This is what she asked:

The booster itself is not equipped with LATCH, but the swivel base (which we do have) is. However, the seat itself does not have the velcro strips on it anymore to attach to the swivel base. 1. Is it safe to use it without the base and just use the seat belt like with a normal booster? (because it seems to shift more than I like with turns and such) 2. If we should use the base, can I buy any kind of Velcro to put on the bottom of the seat for attaching it?

I think I understand the question but I have never seen a Monza IRL. Also she would prefer to use the footrest and base because her daughter prefers it and it keeps her in position. Thanks!
    Jessica
    three across in a honda fit
    11y-literider/6.5y -affixHBB/8y-affixHBB

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Re: monza reha latch/footrest question

I think it would be best to ask the manufacturer of the seat. They know their products best,and would be able to guide you guidance on replacing the Velcro (if you can), use of accessories, etc.
    ~Danielle
    RNC-MNN, BSN
    CPST, SN Trained

CPS Technician
    Any pictures? I have a Monza instruction manual but it's very basic. Our Monza has the latch. I'll look in the morning to see. Also there is SN tech at the company I bought my seat from. He is very knowledgeable. I will see if I can find his number as well.
    DD1 15 yrs old DD2 7yrs old

Senior Community Member

Re: monza reha latch/footrest question

I'm not 100% sure because we got our seat without the swivel base and with latch on the seat, but were given the option to order without latch so I would say yes. Have her double check and explain what she's talking about to Thomashilfen, but the foot rest should also come out of the swivel base a there are holes with little plastic caps that pop off to fit that foot rest into the seat it's self. The reason I'm not sure, is because I don't know if the seat is changed at a basic manufacturing level to be used with the swivel base or not. So in theory, she should be able to, but I would call. The techs at Thomashilfen are great and should enable to walk her through it.

CPS Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by menfusse View Post
    I'm not 100% sure because we got our seat without the swivel base and with latch on the seat, but were given the option to order without latch so I would say yes. Have her double check and explain what she's talking about to Thomashilfen, but the foot rest should also come out of the swivel base a there are holes with little plastic caps that pop off to fit that foot rest into the seat it's self. The reason I'm not sure, is because I don't know if the seat is changed at a basic manufacturing level to be used with the swivel base or not. So in theory, she should be able to, but I would call. The techs at Thomashilfen are great and should enable to walk her through it.
    This is my thought too. It's the seatbelt that holds the seat in place.

Menfusse how long have you had your seat for your dd?

CPS Technician
    You want Andrew at 1-866-870-2122. This is a Seattle area company, they run on Pacific time. There is another guy there but his information is very limited. Andrew is a tech with SN training too.