Question 2005 Honda Odyssey EX w/plus one

kmw

Any issues that I would need to consider? Mechanical?

Looking at one with 140,000kms on it but in immaculate condition :)

I'm in Canada :)

===============================
UPDATE: Bought it! Checked out fantastically!

Last edited:
ADS

MommyShannon

You probably are aware of this already, but it only has 3 top tethers (captain's chairs and center 3rd row). No more can be added. Could be an issue in a few years but not too bad to work around with 3.
ETA: Ours is a 2006 and we love it!

Last edited:

thepote

I've had mine since it was new. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. We have four kids and occasionally tow a pop-up camper in the summer, so lots of wear and tear and it has held up great. No transmission issues, knock on wood.

For repairs I can think of... Door sliding mechanisms (3x now), front exhaust system rusted out this year and replaced, stuff like sway links and shocks, tires and brakes. The third row fold down got messed up this year and jammed a bunch of times. Now it doesn't line up and you need to flip it up gently and go around to the side door and reach in and push the seat foot backwards onto the latching mechanism.

Good luck!

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've had mine since it was new. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. We have four kids and occasionally tow a pop-up camper in the summer, so lots of wear and tear and it has held up great. No transmission issues, knock on wood.

For repairs I can think of... Door sliding mechanisms (3x now), front exhaust system rusted out this year and replaced, stuff like sway links and shocks, tires and brakes. The third row fold down got messed up this year and jammed a bunch of times. Now it doesn't line up and you need to flip it up gently and go around to the side door and reach in and push the seat foot backwards onto the latching mechanism.

Very similar issues on our 03. Door sliding mechanisms have been replaced on both sides, some tiny computer component crapped out inside the transmission in 2008 and the whole tranny was replaced then. Sway link was broken this summer and replaced. I don't know if it's the same on the 05+ but the compressor for the rear air conditioning unit drains right behind the back rear tire. Because of all the crud being flung up by that tire that drain hose gets blocked. If you never clear it out then the back hatch area will start to fill up with water from the AC unit. It's a 30 second job to periodically clean it out though, so long as you know about it.

I'd buy another Odyssey in a heartbeat.

kmw

Thanks everyone :)

Things like tires, shocks, brakes don't scare me.. nor do timing belts - all just maintenance really.

Power sliders are an issue on any minivan that has them so no fears there either...

Sent my dad to check out the van today (it's in my hometown, not where I live now!).. dealership was closed but he was amazed by the condition - not a mark on it, in or out! He's going back tomorrow to check it out and take it for a drive for me! And, he used to be both a car salesman and business manager (at a few dealerships) so I am super lucky to have him to send out on my behalf :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do make sure the transmission has been replaced or rebuilt- they tend to just "go" with no warning. Otherwise have the cost of a new one in an emergency fund ready to replace it if it does!

The third row tether anchor can be used for either the center OR the passenger seat, which gives you a LITTLE more flexibility.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Make sure the timing belt/water pump have been replaced. That's a pricey maintenance due at 110k miles OR 7 years, whichever comes first. I bought a used 2005 last fall and it had been done at 7 yrs despite only having 60K miles then. :)

kmw

Thanks ladies!

New tranny is not a lovely surprise repair at all! Eeek. Will check into that for sure... It's not at a Honda dealer, it's at a BMW dealer so how would I find out? Same with timing belt etc?? If not at Honda, how would I know?

Jackie010307

If it was done at the dealer or a larger shop it may be listed on the carfax report. I can tell you that our mechanic won't do our timing belt and told us he would go to the dealership for that. It's an all day job and unless a shop had the manpower to have a mechanic work on 1 vehicle all day they probably wouldn't have done it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC