Seat for friend/gift

Lenae

I'm looking for a seat to give as a gift. I'd like to keep it close to $150, pretty firm in that budget. Friend is a generally smart person, but no idea how car seat literate she is. We aren't particularly close, as a matter of fact, we are currently estranged. So I don't have a lot (read: any) input from her as to what she'd like. So, I've been scoping out seats. I've found the following seats available at $160 or less. Pros and cons of each seat?

TrueFit
Roundabout 50 (not 55)
Complete Air
MyRide
Evenflo Triumph
SureRide

I've personally owned the first four seats, and liked them. I don't expect friend to RF to 4yo, but I would imagine she'd shoot for 2yo. So the absolutely highest RF limits aren't the biggest deal. I do want something with good FF harness height so she doesn't end up boostering too early. Opinions?

ETA: Ease of use is pretty much #1 criteria.

ADS

MommyShannon

TrueFit pros - super tall and lots of legroom / cons - bulky, lock offs required (so a little harder install), takes more front to back space so could lead to turning early, 35lb rf limit; I'd probably skip it in this case though I like it for us.
RA50 - 35lb rf limit, decent height rf and ff, easy install; good choice
CA - high bottom slots (how old is the child), I have trouble with some FF installs (mine has the base, not sure if that's why), continuous harness can be good or bad; overall I like it.
EFT - don't know much besides 37" rf limit SureRide-would last the longest forward and as long as the CA rf with 40" rf limit (probably won't matter). I'd probably pick this especially considering you might find it for 1/2 your budget. MyRide-another good choice, some people don't like the extra recline forward

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Graco clones are usually available somewhere for around $150, sometimes less. I think the MySize is about $135 right now after trade-in at BRU?? Not sure how much shipping would cost on top of that if you were buying locally & sending.

I wouldn't buy a CA without knowing for sure what she drives and setting her up with someone to help her learn to install it correctly. I like mine, but it can be, well, interesting to put in RF in a lot of vehicles.

Dillipop

I love my true fit for rearfacing and latch installs . I decided that I absolutely hate it for forward facing seatbelt installs. Not sure if I hate it for rearfacing with seatbelt or not- don't know if I've tried it. The kickoff for forward facing being right in the middle interferes with every single one of my seatbelts and the button that keeps the belt from going to the floor. Thankfully, it allows latch to 48 pounds and Toyota defers to the manufacturer.

I love our RA 50! Easy install both forward and rearfacing. Easy to tighten and loosen. Most kids will outgrow rearfacing by height and weight around the same time. Plus there are tons of cute covers and replacement covers floating around.

Lenae

She lives local to me, and though I'm not a tech, I am pretty competent at installs and would be able to easily help her. She drives a 4 door car of some sort, no idea on year/make/model. I think I'm leaning toward the Roundabout 50, just because its so dang easy to use. Child isn't born yet, but she does have an infant seat.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Personally, if I were getting a seat for someone without any idea what the person wants or likes or what the size and shape of the child was, I'd go for the Graco clone. But the RA50 isn't a bad choice either.

I could probably dig out an old seat from my garage for you to trade in if you need something. I *think* I still have an expired Peg on a shelf out there.

Lenae

Personally, if I were getting a seat for someone without any idea what the person wants or likes or what the size and shape of the child was, I'd go for the Graco clone. But the RA50 isn't a bad choice either.

I could probably dig out an old seat from my garage for you to trade in if you need something. I *think* I still have an expired Peg on a shelf out there.

I liked the Graco clones we looked at today. When does the BRU trade-in event end?

todzwife

If you don't talk to her, are you sure she even wants a seat? I'd hate for you to spend $150 and have her not even want it...:eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
SureRide/T65 ($60 at Burlington right now...) would be my first choice. TrueFit second. Clone third. (based on your criteria)

Lenae

If you don't talk to her, are you sure she even wants a seat? I'd hate for you to spend $150 and have her not even want it...:eek:

She'll want it. We're not estranged because of a fight, more just... circumstances. However, I saw her today, on a friendly level. I got a feel for how much (or little in her case) pink she wants there to be, and we talked generalities. Her boyfriend (my DH's best friend) told me she does not have a convertible as of yet, and was given specific instructions to not buy or allow her to buy one. Her baby shower is this weekend, and while I can't be there, I will be having her boyfriend bring the seat. Baby is due at the end of March, and I think convertible will be used from birth in BF's pickup until infant seat is outgrown, where it will then become full time seat. Do the Graco clones fit teenies well?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They fit average to large babies ok, but tightening on little and even medium babies can be difficult.

SureRide fits the preemie doll.

todzwife

She'll want it. We're not estranged because of a fight, more just... circumstances. However, I saw her today, on a friendly level. I got a feel for how much (or little in her case) pink she wants there to be, and we talked generalities. Her boyfriend (my DH's best friend) told me she does not have a convertible as of yet, and was given specific instructions to not buy or allow her to buy one. Her baby shower is this weekend, and while I can't be there, I will be having her boyfriend bring the seat. Baby is due at the end of March, and I think convertible will be used from birth in BF's pickup until infant seat is outgrown, where it will then become full time seat. Do the Graco clones fit teenies well?

Gotcha! What a great friend you are!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I did confirm that I have an expired infant seat to spare. If you decide to to the trade-in and you need it, just drop me a PM and I'll get it to you somehow.

Lenae

I did confirm that I have an expired infant seat to spare. If you decide to to the trade-in and you need it, just drop me a PM and I'll get it to you somehow.

Thanks. I'm hoping to go in to BRU this Thursday, so when I know for sure, I'll PM you. This dang weather though. Ugh. I'm hoping the roads clear because my car isn't wonderful on ice and our roads are skating rinks still.

Lenae

Just thought of something. Friends BF's pickup is an older extended cab Dodge. I know for certain a backless Evenflo booster fits entirely on the seat, but just barely. Do the Graco clones fit on a short seat? It will be installed center, so front to back space isn't a huge issue, but I want most of the base to sit on the vehicle seat, because I don't know how adept friend or her boyfriend are at installing (I will help initially).

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I've only had one experience with a Graco clone in an ext cab pickup truck and, no, it did not fit on the short back seat. We had to install it in front and turn the airbag off.

As I'm sure you're aware, YMMV. :/

I wish I had a better answer than that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC