Advice needed - Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna?

Brooke789

Hi all,
We're looking to replace our 2010 Toyota Rav4 with a minivan after our 3rd child arrives. (This car is our back-up and will never have 3 seats installed. We are replacing b/c it could not be our 'back-up' anymore as our whole family could not ride in it). We are looking at the 2009-2012 range for the minivans.

Any advice on which van would be better as far as car seats? We have 2 3.5yr olds. They are currently FF in Radian XTSLs. Baby will be here soon and has a Graco Snugride 30. Baby will then move up to RF Radian and DS will go to a Frontier (probably 90) as he's currently on the last harness slot. DD will eventually go to a Frontier also (might not have to be a 90) but isn't going to be outgrowing her Radian as soon as DS.

I know there are possible issues with the amount of latch and tether points in a Sienna. Is it true that more can be installed at the dealership? Is this correct? Are there more in an Odysey?

What I would love is to have the option of 3 across in the 2nd row for vacations or large shopping trips (to have the huge cargo area) but for everyday usage I would think we'd utilize both the 2nd and 3rd rows.

Seat combination summary:
2 FF Radian XTSL + Graco Snugride 30
Then later:
1 FF Radian XTSL + 1 Britax Frontier 90 + 1 RF Radian XTSL
then later:
2 Britax Frontier (maybe 90 & 80/85?) + 1 RF Radian XTSL (w/angle adjuster)

ADS

MommyShannon

Those years cannot have tether anchors added. Both companies changed their models in 2011.
If you want 3 across the second row, I'd get a pre-2011 Sienna or 2011+ Ody. All of the Odysseys in your range have lots of tether anchors. Pre-2011 has them everywhere but the small 8th seat. 2011+ has 6 anchors. The old model has a tiny 8th seat, new ones have a big one.
The older Siennas have 5 (only 2 in 3rd row) and new ones only have 3. The new ones have a small 8th seat too.

Brooke789

So there are only 2 latches in the 2nd row, but my 2 kids are reaching the max for latch anyway with the new requirements. Can 3 seats be installed in 2nd row w/o latch?

So there is only one latch in the 3rd row?

What about the tethers? I need those w/a seatbelt install?

MommyShannon

I was only talking about the top tethers. Yes, you need those even with a seatbelt install. The newer Siennas only have top tether anchors where they have lower anchors. So there are 3 full sets of LATCH (2 in second row, 1 in 3rd row). That means ideally you wouldn't put a forward facing seat in the center seat. I am not sure what seats would let you put 3 across there since the middle seat is so small.
The older Sienna is known for fitting 3 seats there easily and has full LATCH in all 3 second row seats.

The older Ody has the small middle 2nd row seat though it's not impossible to get 3 across, just harder. It's lacking the top tether though. The 3rd row only has full LATCH in the captain's chairs and middle 3rd row BUT it has additional top tether anchors in the other 2 3rd row positions.
The new Ody has LATCH everywhere including all 3 middle row seats, and 2 sets in back, plus a top tether anchor in the one spot without lower anchors.
I like flexibility so I'd probably look at everything but the new Siennas. I have the older Ody (7 seater) and have used all my top tethers at various times.

Brooke789

Thank you! Just read that whole thread!

Now I'm wondering why there is a difference in installing RFing on cloth vs leather seats. We'd prefer cloth (we've never had leather, but I remember when I was a kid sliding around on it in the summer) but with buying used that was something that wouldn't have affected our decision.

Good to see the Toyota offers the sliding together of the 2 captains chairs.

Toyota would be our preference as that is all we've ever driven, but we are willing to go with an Odyssey if it is what we need. DH worries about the possible transmission and electrical issues though. Odyssey also seem to have lower resell (which is a positive for us at the moment).

MommyShannon

We have an '06 Ody with leather and a car with cloth seats. I haven't really had an issue either way. If you can find a '10 Sienna, it'd probably fit your needs well. The '06-10 Ody has the top tethers and lets you slide a seat over too.

mom2kandm

Thank you! Just read that whole thread!

Now I'm wondering why there is a difference in installing RFing on cloth vs leather seats. We'd prefer cloth (we've never had leather, but I remember when I was a kid sliding around on it in the summer) but with buying used that was something that wouldn't have affected our decision.

Good to see the Toyota offers the sliding together of the 2 captains chairs.

Toyota would be our preference as that is all we've ever driven, but we are willing to go with an Odyssey if it is what we need. DH worries about the possible transmission and electrical issues though. Odyssey also seem to have lower resell (which is a positive for us at the moment).

I can not help you on the tether issues, but we have an 07 Odyssey and have had a ton of trouble. I really recommend staying away from the older Odyssey or investing in a good aftermarket warranty. We ended up buying a Honda care warranty and can not wait for it to expire next year so we can get a new car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC