Need help finding a seat...please...

macimom

Hi there,
I need a new seat for my DS who is small for his age...he will be 4 next month, but is only 35lbs. and about 39 inches tall. I want to keep him in a harness because he is so small, but cannot seem to find a seat that I feel totally comfortable with. I looked at the Britax Regent the other day, but it's so huge, I'm not sure it will fit in my car. I was just researching the Recaro Como, but it states that it's designed to be used until a child is 4-5, even though the weight limit is 70lbs. I would hate to get a seat I can only use for a year. I want something that's comfortable for him and has head protection as we will be taking a long road trip next month.

Any ideas?? The Como looks great, but I'm worried it will be short term. Perhaps you all know of something I don't. The Sunshine Kids Radian 65 does not look all that comfortable to me from the pictures, although I have not seen one in person yet.

Any advice would be so appreciated!!! Thank you!!!:)

ADS

scatterbunny

There's no way to place an arbitrary age limit on a seat; no way at all. A carseat's lifespan is totally dependent on the height of the top slots, the weight limit and the size (specifically TORSO height and weight) of the child.

My daughter is tall for her age (97th percentile) at 4 feet 1 inch and 6 years, 3 months old. She would still fit the Recaro Como or Signo with some growing room. She was your son's height and weight at 2 years, 8 months old when we moved her to a Britax Husky (Regent), which she's still in, with 2-3 years of growing room.

What vehicle do you drive? A Regent can fit in a surprising array of small cars. :) I had mine in a 91 Honda Accord for a few years.

There are lots of seats that would work for a child your son's size: Evenflo Triumph Advance, Cosco Apex/Safety 1st Biltmore, Sunshine Kids Radian, Britax Marathon, Decathlon or Boulevard, Britax Regent, Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe, Recaro Como and Signo, Safeguard Go and Safeguard Child Seat. It all depends on how long you want to harness him, what fits best in your car, what your budget is, what he's most comfortable in (some are low to the vehicle seat, and very upright; others are up on a base and more reclined; some are more snug-fitting, with deeper sides; others are wider and more open).

mama2mad

my son is 4, he's 34lbs and 38" and fits great in a britax regent, though his seat is actually the britax marathon
my dad has a malibu and has a husky (pre-regent) in there no problem

i can't give any info about the recaro, but my 5.5yo who is 66lbs and 4ft tall sits in a regent with plenty of room to grow...she was too tall for the marathon before outgrowing it in weight, but she is *very* tall for her age

macimom

Thank you so much for your replies...I think I have finally made a decision...I feel the most comfortable going with the Regent, yes, it's huge, but I feel it's the safest of everything I've looked at.
Thanks again!!! This board is wonderful!!:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC