Graco Comfortsport

U

Unregistered

Please if anyone has one what are the positives/negatives of this seat and would your recommend this seat after using the Graco Snugride

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Positives: Cost

Negatives: Low top slots height, low RFing weight limit, low FFing weight limit, outgrown very early.

Graco does great infant seats and great boosters, but inbetween they are lacking. Skip the Comfortsport, it's a waste of money. It's not unsafe or terribly hard to use, you'll just need to buy another seat in a couple of years to get your little one to a mature booster age. May as well not buy two seats, just put money into one good one that will last.

Wendy

Cindy&Connor

It was very difficult to use rear facing in my car. The harness adjustor got smashed into the back of the vehicle seat and it couldn't be adjusted without uninstalling it. It was also outgrown by height when ds was a little over 2. I wish I would have bought something with higher top slots and a higher weight limit to start with. I would have saved alot of money.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If you give us some more info we will help you fine the right seat for you. Budget? Cars? Weight and age of child? Number of seats you will need?

Stefanie

ignora

Senior Community Member
I know someone whose husband hated the adjuster on their Comfortsport so much that he took it and hacked it up with a chainsaw. No, it wasn't expired or outgrown... he just hated it. They got a Marathon.

skaterbabs

Personally I would not even consider the cost to be a "pro". You can get a better seat for less money (a Cosco Scenera is only $40), an for just a touch more you can get a MUCH better seat.

amy919

I've owned 2 ComfortSports and would not buy another. There are cheaper and better seats out there, no doubt about it.

I never had a problem installing the seat RF or FF, at least it was no more difficult that installing a Scenera. But not nearly as easy as installing my RA or MA.

RF, it is next to impossible to use the harness adjuster. It's my biggest issue with the seat.

You will hear, probably unanimously, on this board that the seat is outgrown quickly. While this is absolutely true in the majority of cases, it really does depend on the child. My girls, for example, are on the small side and Kaylie still fit at age 3 1/2, although it was not in use. My point is only that if you have small kids, the seat will last a little longer. If you have an average sized child, run away - fast.

All in all, it's not a good buy. There are much better choices out there.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I had a comfortsport and didn't mind it. It was pretty much impossible to tighten rearfacing and my ds outgrew it at 27lbs and 31.5" because his shoulders were above the top slots. I then had to find a seat with high top slots since he was far too little to move to a booster. Pretty much we found the comfortsport to be a waste of money since it didn't last us nearly as long as we thought that it would. I ended up with a Marathon (love it) and wish I would have gone with that right from the beginning.

Have you looked at the:
* Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe (FPSVD)- it is similar to the Marathon (MA) but doesn't tether rearfacing, have built-in lock-offs and doesn't harness to 65lbs like the MA does
* Evenflo Triumph Advance- High top harness slots.
* Sunshine Kids Radian- High top harness slots, tethers rf, harness' to 65lbs.
* Britax Marathon- High top harness slots, tethers rf, harness' to 65lbs, built-in lock-offs, fairly easy to install.

kangato2roos

I had a ComfortSport and hated it.

Like others said, it was near impossible to adjust the harness rear facing. I was literally the only one who could do it because my hands are so small, but it was still a pain for me. The adjuster ended up wedged against the seat and only my slim little fingers could fit down far enough to reach it.

I had real problems installing it in my car, but most carseats don't go in easy (sloped seats and forward of the bight belts). My MA installs easiest, but it takes a few tricks to get it in tight. The ComfortSport was just a pain overall to get in there.

So many kids outgrow this seat so early, too. There are a few that might last awhile, but most are out by 2-3 years old because it's got such short harness slots. The top slot CANNOT be used rear facing, only forward facing, so there does come a time when they are too little to forward face, but the middle slots are so far below their shoulders it causes major problems with harness fit.

My son is TINY. As in, he's 2 years old and JUST NOW reached the bottom of the growth charts. He's been listed as -3% since he was born. Now he's in the 2% range.

Small as he is, he outgrew the ComfortSport ff at 15 months, before he ever actually used it ff. He could have lasted a few more months rf, possibly even until 19 or 20 months, but at 15 months I had finally saved up enough money to buy a bigger seat and so I handed the CS to a low-income friend who desperately needed a seat for her baby (and then turned around and bought her a Scenera for $40 last month, but at least she had something for the in-between time).

My son has a long torso, you see, so even though his overall height labels him as very small and you would think he'd have fit for quite awhile, his torso said otherwise. He's all torso and almost no legs. He looks tall sitting in a carseat... until you get him OUT of the carseat and he stands up. :ROTFLMAO:

I definitely think you can find a much better seat for your child. The price of the CS isn't even worth it.

mlbmom

I agree that there are much better choices out there now.

But in its (slight) defense, it did last my DD until age 4 and 37 pounds, and she's average height.

It was also great to travel with... easy to haul around an airport and easy to install in anything. Installing a Chase and uninstalling a Marathon on an airplane made me long for the ComfortSport again.

And to his credit, DH dealt with the evil adjuster while she was rear-facing until she was almost 2.5. He gets lots of points for that :)

It served its purpose when purchased four years ago, but many better options have come out since then.

Mel

MandiRN

A close friend of mine has one in their Tundra. She hates the seat. I hate the seat. The kiddo, on the other hand, couldn't care less! They currently have a terrible install with it and I am going to ask if I can re-install it for them next time I see it. Trying to think how to ask tactfully....:whistle:

Avery'sMama

CPST Instructor
We bought one for DD after she outgrew her Snugride, thinking we were saving money. Hah! While I didn't hate it, I didn't really care for it. I ended up buying a Boulevard when I returned to work and DD was 2, she lasted another 6 months in it in Grandma's car. I had to replace the foam TWICE, the cover slips down exposing the foam... I didn't realize how much nicer the Britax seats were until I dragged the stupid thing out for DS. I used it with him for 3 months before ordering a new seat (Marathon). I wouldn't recomend one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC