Frontier 90 or Performance Sport

ks227

DH and I need to buy two combination seats for our older daughter - she is 3.5 years old, over 40" and around 35 lbs. She is currently riding FFing in Britax Boulevard 70s (G2) but we plan to pass the Boulevards down to the baby in the next couple of months. She rides in both cars (2010 Chevy Equinox and 2007 Toyota Camry) on a daily basis and so we want two higher-end seats. Most of L's friends at daycare are either in Nautiluses or boosters (already, at 3 - don't get me started) and she's very excited to get a "big girl seat".

A 3rd child is a possibility in a few years, but we don't know if one or more of our cars would upgrade to a minivan or an SUV with third row, and we don't want to buy Radians until/if we need to. The Boulevards will be close to expiring when the baby is around 2 anyways, so we will re-evaluate our seat situation at that time. So we don't want to buy this set of car seats based on possible future constraints.

We've narrowed it to the Britax Frontier 90 (for the Click Tight) and the Recaro Performance Sport. I know both are good seats that are well-reviewed and the Recaro is a bit cheaper, but what are some other compelling reasons for choosing one over the other?

ADS

Kegracin

You might wanna check out this thread from yesterday, as it has a link to the recaro review that one of the members did http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=262334 That said does your Equinox have the head rests that slant forward? MIL has a terrain (it may be newer) but the FR85 didn't like her head rests the FR90 was okay with the funky head rests.

ks227

That said does your Equinox have the head rests that slant forward? MIL has a terrain (it may be newer) but the FR85 didn't like her head rests the FR90 was okay with the funky head rests.

All Terrains and 2010 and later Equinoxes are platform twins. Yes, they do have the funny head rests - which allegedly can't be removed (they can). I've tried the FR90 in the car and it's OK, but have not found a local store that carries Recaro seats and don't know if the PS would play nicely with the Equinox.

My parents will be getting a FR90 solely for Click Tight. FIL will borrow one of our seats if it's ever necessary for him to transport both kids.

Kegracin

All Terrains and 2010 and later Equinoxes are platform twins. Yes, they do have the funny head rests - which allegedly can't be removed (they can).

I know I was so excited the FR90 worked with out needing to take MIL's car apart as I was prepared and found the directions on line.

tracee877

I own both and like them both for different reasons. Obviously, the click tight on the FR90 is its best feature IMO. So easy to install and switch between cars, but it is extremely heavy. I really don't have any other complaints about it. The PS is super nice with tons of SIP. My only complaints about it are the belt routing (seatbelt is exposed under the padding and can rub against the child's back, although my DS hasn't complained), when installed with seat belt it can interfere with the harness slots and the seat depth is not as deep as the FR90 but not a huge deal at this point as my DS is only 5. But he is very leggy and I can see depth becoming an issue in the future.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I've used both and wound up going with the Performance Sport for everyday use. I LOVE it. We just (minutes ago) got back from a multi-day road trip, and my DD didn't complain once. (Well, she complained a lot, but not about the seat.)

My only complaints about it are the belt routing (seatbelt is exposed under the padding and can rub against the child's back, although my DS hasn't complained),

Do you have the ProSport or Performance Sport? On the Performance Sport you can route the belt behind the lower fabric flap so it covers the seatbelt.

ks227

We started off ordering the FR90, and some time this month will take DD to Buy Buy Baby to try out the Performance Sport (closest one is 45+ minutes away). If she likes it we'll have one of each, and if she prefers the Frontier we'll get another for DH's car.

Thinking ahead, both girls have long torsos and the baby is particularly long (and long-torsoed) and I want as much harness height as we can reasonably get.

Athena

I know both are good seats that are well-reviewed and the Recaro is a bit cheaper, but what are some other compelling reasons for choosing one over the other?

The additional harness height. We NEED it, so that's what made our decision to get Frontiers.

ks227

Yeah, I had older DD sit in the seat to adjust the harness height and was sort of unnerved at how high I had to make it - but she did outgrow the Boulevards RF by height at 2.5, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

That seat is a BEAST. But the Click Tight is awesome. I installed the seat and said to myself, "That was it?!" It is rock solid and fast; it took me longer to climb into my cargo area to connect the tether than it did to actually install the seat. DD got so excited when I unboxed it.

tracee877

I've used both and wound up going with the Performance Sport for everyday use. I LOVE it. We just (minutes ago) got back from a multi-day road trip, and my DD didn't complain once. (Well, she complained a lot, but not about the seat.)

Do you have the ProSport or Performance Sport? On the Performance Sport you can route the belt behind the lower fabric flap so it covers the seatbelt.

We have the Performance Sport. I do have the belt routed behind all the padding, but it still makes his back arch a bit. He doesn't complain though, it just looks weird. I feel like he could sit deeper in the seat if it weren't for the routing.:shrug-shoulders:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC