Narrow Carseats - Baby Trend Hybrid? Defender?

carseatfreak

We currently have a newer style accord (2012 I think). We have 2 radians forward facing and a literider booster. I despise putting the radians in ff and it takes me forever with the belt which is the install that gives us the most room (and it seems like they loosen over time). It's not the best setup in my opinion. I have been looking at the baby trend hybrid and the harmony defender. I believe other than the radian xtsl (sunshine kids) these are my narrowest choices. I know the baby trend sounds like a nightmare to install with the belt (girls are 30-32 lbs) but walmart's website says it is 15-something inches width. Does anyone know if this is correct. I would mess with the install (I remember the nightmare of the long belt path for the older frontiers) if it gave me an extra 4 inches for the booster rider....but I have searched everywhere and can't verify this is correct.

In a moment of weakness I wished I could get the Frontier 90 to work (I know...it's huge...but that clicktight is awesome). They installed like a dream but my booster rider had no room in her shoulders/torso area :-(.

Booster rider is getting so close to 5 stepping in the accord. I actually thought about getting her the booster that just came out that's more like a pad (can't think of the name...not the bubble bum). Radian riders are probably 32 lbs each and I have no idea on height (maybe 39"...that's a total guess).

Last edited:
ADS

1mommy

I've read the Harmony Defender is narrow - you can find it at Walmart. And the new booster you are thinking of is the Incognito.

mom of six

I have a Defender. Do you want any specific measurements?

It is a pretty easy seat belt install. I also have a Radian if you want me to do any comparisons.

carseatfreak

I have a Defender. Do you want any specific measurements?

It is a pretty easy seat belt install. I also have a Radian if you want me to do any comparisons.

If you don't mind...widest point at base and widest point of back. I can measure our radian to compare. Thx!

mom of six

Sorry this has taken so long. We have had much sickness here...

The defender's widest point is aboout 17.25 inches with the padding compressed. Here are a couple of pictures:

Defender%2520measurements%2520001.JPG

Defender%2520measurements%2520002.JPG

The biggest thing that is different about the Defender and the Radian is how much *deeper* the whole seat is. Not for the child, but from the automobile seat back. **Hard to put into words***

The measurement here is 8 inches from the vehicle back. I am guessing a raidan would be like 5 inches. (yes, I have a seat protector. Informed parental decision. Installed car seat without, marked the strap, installed with, same place on the strap. We eat in our car and I do not want any more hidden fruit snacks bonding with my leather)

Defender%2520measurements%2520003.JPG

Here is a picture with the LiteRider. The Lite Rider is touching the Defender. With the way the belt path of the Defender curves in there is room for my hand (or a little arm) to reach down and hold the buckle stock. (that was always helpful for my booster bucklers).
defender%2520001.JPG

Here is a picture with the Incognito.
It blends in so well you can hardly see it!!!
defender%2520002.JPG

carseatfreak

Sorry this has taken so long. We have had much sickness here...

The defender's widest point is aboout 17.25 inches with the padding compressed. Here are a couple of pictures:

The biggest thing that is different about the Defender and the Radian is how much *deeper* the whole seat is. Not for the child, but from the automobile seat back. **Hard to put into words***

The measurement here is 8 inches from the vehicle back. I am guessing a raidan would be like 5 inches. (yes, I have a seat protector. Informed parental decision. Installed car seat without, marked the strap, installed with, same place on the strap. We eat in our car and I do not want any more hidden fruit snacks bonding with my leather)

Here is a picture with the LiteRider. The Lite Rider is touching the Defender. With the way the belt path of the Defender curves in there is room for my hand (or a little arm) to reach down and hold the buckle stock. (that was always helpful for my booster bucklers).

Here is a picture with the Incognito. It blends in so well you can hardly see it!!!

This is awesome! Thanks so much...and seeing it next to the lite rider and incognito is great. What kind of vehicle are they in?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC