Question Is a UAS anchor good enough?

U

Unregistered

Hi,
I have four sons. Two of whom are 18 month old twins. Recently my Daycare provider questioned me regarding their car seats, which happen to be hand-me-downs from their older brother. In the past, their father use to be in charge of installing their seats, but he recently moved to another province.
Anyhow it was up to me to install these ones into my minivan. Unfortunately I did not find the straps that anchor to the back center of the seat buying did find the UAS that anchors to each side of the vehicles seat. My daycare provider told me that she thought that the tether strap would also be required even if you used the UAS strap. Is she correct?
If so, is there a way to get low cost replacement tethers? Now that I am a single mom of 4 without any help at all from their father, I cannot afford to buy one new car seat?, let alone two.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Lori Gauthier

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Is a UAS achor good enough?

Hi Lori,

What van do you have? If you have UAS you have top tethers, and they are required forward facing by law in Canada.

However, if your twins are in convertibles, it is far best to abide the AAP (and TC says to abide the AAP) and NHTSA and leave them rear facing until at least two, but ideally much longer. That will allow you to not worry about the top tethers right now.

Wendy

Cnidaria

Lori,

Are you saying the top tether *straps* themselves are missing from the car seats?

Indeed, some more information would be helpful. Are the twins rear-facing or forward-facing? Some convertible seats *allow* the top tether to be used in the rear-facing position but none *require* it as far as I know.

What car seats are they in?

cso1997

Only on their new seats. OPs seats are not new, so she does not have to use the TA for RFg. It is optional.

Thanks so much for the clarification. I was actually only replying to the PP and not the OP but I am glad you chimed in to make things more clear.

Keeanh

Hi Lori!! Welcome :)

I hope you'll come back and update us with more details. Generally speaking, the UAS anchors alone are all that are needed for rear-facing, provided you're using them properly. The top tether is also required for forward-facing.

You're an awesome mom for taking on the car seat challenge ;) Don't worry, it might be confusing at first, but we'll help you sort everything out for all 4 of your boys!! Sounds like you have a great daycare provider, btw :)

Cnidaria

Thank you for the info about Britax RF tethering in Canada, cso1997 and bubbaray!

(What are you supposed to do if there is just no suitable RF tether point?)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You mentioned that the carseats are hand-me-downs. How old are they? If they are old enough not to have top tether straps, they are long since expired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC