Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Seat for a baby in a rhino cruiser brace?

We have 3 months before DD goes back for her next x-ray to check on her hip sockets. She's been right on the cusp of needing to be treated for hip displasia since she was 2 weeks, but she's not bad enough that the ortho wanted to treat her immediately. He's hopeful she will fix herself as she gets older/bigger.

That said, if there isn't improvement in 3 months, she will be in a rhino cruiser brace. HOPEFULLY just part time, but if I can't take it off to put her in a car seat, what do I do? She could be in it for 6+months

She'll be 9 months at that point.
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Seat for a baby in a rhino cruiser brace?

how about something like this? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3B5VTgRoZn...10516-1659.jpg

I've also heard that you can borrow a hippo car seat or a hope car bed.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4iCHYIN6n1...0/IMG_0295.JPG

http://hipdiapersforonehipworld.blog...-pictures.html

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The Rhino isn't bad. I've seen kids walk and crawl in them. About 2ish years ago I put a 6 month old in a Rhino brace in a Keyfit without a problem. Diaper's do get squished by the brace so leakage tends to be an issue, so avoid seats that are a pain to clean.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lovatic24 View Post
    That seat is ffing only and cannot be safely used by a 9 month old.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

I guess I'll play it by ear and get a radian if she does need a different, lower profile seat.
    Mama to DS:10/03-Harmony Transit, DD 1/06 Parkway, DD2 4/10- Nextfit/frontier DD3 7/13- Pria

Our daughter had a rhino cruiser and she could still fit in her Britax decathlon. She was only 6 months and small for her age, though, and I ended up just taking it off for shorter rides.

Well I wanted to come update this...

DD is in a rhino cruiser brace for 3-6 months full time. Fortunately she fits fine in our Maxi Cosi Pria.

Unregistered

I know this is an old thread but I referred to it recently, I thought I would give an update for future moms looking for a car seat is the US bc the maxi one only meet UK safety standards . We ended up finding a car seat that my 6 month old fit in wearing the rhino brace, it was called dhino. About 250$ on amazon . Hope it helps future people looking

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

The Maxi Cosi Pria is a U.S. seat, so it was fine to use. Are you referencing the Diono seats? That's about the price range for them and they are good for Rhino braces because they are low profile.

Unregistered

The Doino has horrible 1/5 crash test ratings. I have a 7 month old in a rhino cruiser. Any other thoughts

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

The Diono seats can be relatively complex to install in comparison to other carseats. Where are you finding the crash test ratings?