Can you remove the arm rests from the affix?

todzwife

I bought a HBB for DD1 (8) and a LBB for DS (10) only to discover that there aren't even any LATCHES in the back of my van. I knew about the lack of anchor points but no latches?? UGH. Now what do I do? There is one set, in the center of the back seat. I bought them to keep them from becoming a projectile in a crash, but now what do I do?

If I need to return them, I need to get the arm rests off...and they aren't like the turbo booster with the screw. HELP!:eek:

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
You can use the Affix without anchoring it.

There are sometimes tether anchors without lower anchors, but never lower anchors without a tether anchor (except in a very few high-end convertible sports cars). If you don't have a tether anchor, you won't have lower anchors.

aeormsby

I didn't attempt to take ours apart when I returned it. It just felt like I was going to break it.

The booster doesn't need to be latched to be used though, it should just be buckled when empty if it's not latched in. Although if you're not going to be using the latch at all I could understand returning it for a non-latchable booster if the price is a big difference (I don't remember exactly what the price difference was or if there were any other upgrades on the affix).

todzwife

We don't NEED them- I have both in parkways, I just wanted something that would latch in. :( I can't get them back in the box w/ the arm rests on.:rolleyes:

teekadog

I've had that happen with baby gear. Call the company and ask. Sorry that I have no experience with an Affix.

veggiegirl228

When looking at the manual online they look like they snap into place. Do you see the snap part and try pushing that inward to release it?

GeneL

I was able to remove the arm rests from my Affix, however, reading some online info, it may not be wise to do so in that the arm rests help to position the lap belt properly across the hips; the arm rests absorb some of the force created during a crash. BUT, if you want to remove them, here is how: turn the seat upside down, for each arm rest, wedge a screwdriver into each side of the insert-sleeve. Now the armrest should pull out with minimal effort. If it does not, re-position the screwdrivers. The attached picture shows positioning of the screwdrivers and a (spatula) stick which can be used to tap-out the arm rests from the bottom.

20190130_151512.jpg

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You should definitely never use any booster after detaching armrests or any other part of the booster, unless it is clearly and specifically allowed in the owner's manual. As you noted, the armrests have a very specific function of keeping the lap belt in proper position to help prevent seatbelt syndrome abdominal injuries.

There are some boosters designed to keep the belts aligned correctly with minimal or no armrests. The Maxi-Cosi Rodifix and Peg Perego Viaggio Flex 120 come to mind offhand.

https://amzn.to/2HXLcB8

https://amzn.to/2HXKPXg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC