Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

BRU trade-in event question?

I need to buy a car seat but I don't have any to trade in. Could I trade in a different product (like a playpen) and use the coupon for a car seat? Or would I have to use the coupon for another playpen.

Also, do you know what they mean by "entertainers"? Would a bumpo seat count?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Re: BRU trade-in event question?

Unless they have changed the rules, they don't have to be from the same category.

I think entertainers are like excersaucers and jumparoos, I wouldn't think a Bumbo seat was in that category.
    DD1: 13, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 9, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 6, ffing RA50

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Yeah, any one qualifying item can be traded for the coupon, which can be used on any other qualifying item that day. http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.js...goryId=4346706
    Random FYI, If you happen to have a recalled Bumbo, the one without a seatbelt, you can just return it for a full refund (in a merchandise credit).

Since they just throw the trade-in's away, it's best to bring in literally junk that you can't make money off of (or hand down) any other way. (ripped, ancient, nasty stuff makes me happy... pristine six month old travel systems seem like such a waste, kwim?)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Hmmmm... Do you think they'd accept a car seat base? I think I may have one in my garage, but we already tossed the seat.

Also, does the gear to be traded in have to come from the same manufacturer list? My understanding is that it's just the gear you purchase that has to come from that list, but I could be misunderstanding. Do they both have to be from one of the participating manufacturers?

The gear does not have to be from one of the participating manufacturers. If you don't have anything you want to bring in you could try looking on craigslist for free or really cheap gear to bring in or post on a local mom's group asking if anyone has an expired car seat or broken gear they'd let you have for free.

Also babiesrus will sometimes price match and then let you use a coupon which can get you an even better deal.

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Random FYI, If you happen to have a recalled Bumbo, the one without a seatbelt, you can just return it for a full refund (in a merchandise credit).
    Really? Do you have to have a receipt? I guess I'm surprised they'll do that now since Bumbo has the recall repair kit you can get for free.
    DD1: 13, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 9, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 6, ffing RA50

Can you trade in a car seat without a cover? I have a radian expiring in March that has no cover.
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Can you trade in a car seat without a cover? I have a radian expiring in March that has no cover.
    Yep, I have traded in 4 crashed seats with no straps 2 without covers. I may trade in a stroller without wheels this time.
    N - 6/08 51" 59 lbs, Backless Monterey
    E - 11/09 48" 48 lbs, Parkway

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rachelandtyke View Post
    Really? Do you have to have a receipt? I guess I'm surprised they'll do that now since Bumbo has the recall repair kit you can get for free.
    Yeah, we are ALL surprised they allow recall returns for so long. It's like maybe BRU should have a time limit, or something... a month after the recall, maybe. Bumbos and Nap Nannies are probably the most easy for people to bring in, but bigger stuff can also be returned.

Just also without multi-quoting...no, bases alone don't work, carseats without covers and harnesses and strollers without wheels DO work, and it's expressly against the rules for price matching AND coupons, but if you get a spineless manager who wants to say Yes to the Guest, they will make it work
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

11. Thank You from:

I went to thrift store today bought $5 carseat and trade it for 25% coupon. I bought a Nexfit for $223 (tax included) also the color that I want mystique is not available in store so they ordered it online.

Awesome! That's so tempting! Really though once DD2 turns forward, DD3 will inherit a RA55, TFP, CA50 (might use as FF spare), and currently has a MA70. Hard to justify a NextFit
    I think I've justified a Nautilus or Argos for DD2 though! She's inheriting 2 FR85s but those are not good in our truck nor easy installs for DD in a pinch. I need to try the CA50 FF in the truck, it's not good in our van. My older two did best with the nautilus as their first boosters but they will all be expired come December. Good justification, right?!
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

Quote Originally Posted by aurora7 View Post
    I went to thrift store today bought $5 carseat and trade it for 25% coupon. I bought a Nexfit for $223 (tax included) also the color that I want mystique is not available in store so they ordered it online.
    Argh, this is what I wanted to do, but my husband thought it would be too much of a hassle. We used a 20% off coupon and called it a day. That extra 5% would have made a big difference, though!