5 pt harness vs booster?

I am a nanny to a 4 1/2 year old girl. I would guestimate about 45 pounds. Her parents have her in a backless booster already in their car(if it was up to me she would still be rf) and handed down her old carseat to me. It is cosco. I have no idea what one its just a lightweight very basic no sides really. It converts into a backed booster seat. She is in the 5 pt barnes now but her shoulders are about 2-3 inches above the top harness slots. I know they are supposed to be at or above for forward facing. So would it be more safe for her to continue wearing the 5 pt harness even though its below her shoulders or should I transition her to the seatbelt?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Cosco seat you describe has a maximum weight limit of 40 lbs, plus as you have observed she is too tall for the harness. If she is to use it at all, it needs to be in booster mode.

However, I don't run into a lot of kids who get a good "fit" in that seat at a booster. Try her in it. The lap belt needs to be low and snug across her lap, against her thighs not up over her soft belly. The shoulder belt needs to stay snug across her chest and cross her collar bone above the curve of her shoulder but not so high that it rubs on her neck. AND she needs to be able to remain seated like that all the time.

At her age, I would be more comfortable with her in a harness, but a properly fitting booster seat is safer than an outgrown harness.

If you need to buy her a car seat for your car, there are several options. To get her a harnessed seat that will fit it will cost between $75-$100 probably (it could cost more, but it doesn't have to). To get her a good highback booster, which is an acceptable choice if she will stay seated properly at all times, it will cost between $30 and $50.

Keeanh

At 4.5 a booster isn't ideal, but better than an outgrown harness. And a backless booster is better than a poor highback booster.

How mature is she? Do you trust her to follow instructions and sit properly and not mess with the belt?

If she's not able to sit properly in a booster, I wouldn't transport her without a harness. Whether that's you or the parents providing it would be up to you to figure out, since they've obviously decided she doesn't need a harness. Kind of a tough spot...

If she is able to sit properly in a booster, then I would first evaluate the fit of the Cosco seat. If it's okay, then I would use it. It's legal, safe, and what the parents gave you. If it wasn't good, then the seat they've given you is unusable. Therefore, I would ask the parents to provide a usable seat, either harnessed or booster. Even if they give you a backless, as long as the belt fit is good, it's safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC