deciding between 2007 Rav4 or CR-V for use with Marathon

U

Unregistered

Hi! I'm in the process of getting a new car, and am having trouble deciding between the 2007 Toyota Rav4 and the Honda CR-V. I have an 8 month old son who will be rear facing (obviously!) in his Britax Marathon. I'd prefer to use the middle position- I assume this is safest, even if I have to use the seatbelt and not LATCH, correct? Does anyone know for sure whether a Marathon can be used in the middle seat in either car? Any other input about installation being better in one or the other? I'm hoping the carseat info will help make my car decision easier! :)

Thanks!!!

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Have you checked the safety ratings on each vehicle? I think that would trump ease of MA install, as Britax convertibles install somewhat easily in most vehicles.

I believe you are correct that you will have to use the seatbelt for the center postion in both SUVs, but I don't know of any true incompatabilities with the CR-V or Rav4. I don't know that I would base my vehicle decision on the LATCH limit alone, but one thing to note is that the Honda LATCH limit is 40 lbs and Toyota defers to the restraint limit (generally 48 lbs). That's not an issue in the immediate time-frame, but take that into consideration for future use if you prefer to use lower anchors for outboard installations.

The center is safest if you can get a good fit there. I'd choose a great outboard installation over a so-so center one. Have you taken your seat to the car dealerships to play with installs?

edit: safety ratings: NHTSA or IIHS. It looks like they're pretty well equal.

prosan98

Have you checked the safety ratings on each vehicle? I think that would trump ease of MA install, as Britax convertibles install somewhat easily in most vehicles.

I believe you are correct that you will have to use the seatbelt for the center postion in both SUVs, but I don't know of any true incompatabilities with the CR-V or Rav4. I don't know that I would base my vehicle decision on the LATCH limit alone, but one thing to note is that the Honda LATCH limit is 40 lbs and Toyota defers to the restraint limit (generally 48 lbs). That's not an issue in the immediate time-frame, but take that into consideration for future use if you prefer to use lower anchors for outboard installations.

The center is safest if you can get a good fit there. I'd choose a great outboard installation over a so-so center one. Have you taken your seat to the car dealerships to play with installs?

edit: safety ratings: NHTSA or IIHS. It looks like they're pretty well equal.

Thanks! I think taking the seat with me is the next step. the 40lb weight limit is definitely something to consider. But we'd be able to still use the marathon with the belt over 40lbs, right??

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The CRV actually has five LATCH anchors across the back, so it DOES allow center installs with LATCH. I had a lady come through a couple of weeks ago with one and I told her that it didn't and that Honda went to 40 pounds, then looked down and saw the button and double checked her manual. Sure enough. You can't do three across, but you can do a middle install.

But yes, you'll have to switch at 40 pounds to the belt. The Marathon is easy to install with the belt.

Wendy

brightredmtn

Hi! I'm in the process of getting a new car, and am having trouble deciding between the 2007 Toyota Rav4 and the Honda CR-V. I have an 8 month old son who will be rear facing (obviously!) in his Britax Marathon. I'd prefer to use the middle position- I assume this is safest, even if I have to use the seatbelt and not LATCH, correct? Does anyone know for sure whether a Marathon can be used in the middle seat in either car? Any other input about installation being better in one or the other? I'm hoping the carseat info will help make my car decision easier! :)

Thanks!!!

I could have written this response except that I have a RF 15 month old. I have all but decided on a RAV-4. Here's what I like better about the RAV-4:

standard rear privacy glass
standard center console
standard digital outside temperature gage

The CRV only has those things in their more expensive models. The RAV-4 is bigger and has better gas mileage and has an optional 3rd row. The CRV did get a 5 star rear impact crash rating while the RAV-4 got a 4. They both got 5s on front and side. I do like the center LATCH option on the CRV but it uses one of the outboard LATCH positions so it's off center and would kind of take up two seating positions in the back seat. Doesn't seem very practical. I had a 07 RAV-4 rental and I couldn't get a good install with center seat belt but now I know I needed to twist the belt stalk.

I much prefer the hatch back of the CRV but you seem to get so much more for your money with the RAV-4 I think that's what we'll get. Maybe if I can find a used 07 Santa Fe I might consider that but I wouldn't buy a new Hyundai.

Keep me posted on what you choose cause my mind still isn't made up.

crunchierthanthou

The CRV actually has five LATCH anchors across the back, so it DOES allow center installs with LATCH. I had a lady come through a couple of weeks ago with one and I told her that it didn't and that Honda went to 40 pounds, then looked down and saw the button and double checked her manual. Sure enough. You can't do three across, but you can do a middle install.

But yes, you'll have to switch at 40 pounds to the belt. The Marathon is easy to install with the belt.

Wendy

That makes sense. Someone linked to the manual for the Acura RDX and it is the same way. It has three possible LATCH postions, but center and driver's side outboard share a lower anchor. Only one of those positions can have a LATCH install at a time

prosan98

I could have written this response except that I have a RF 15 month old. I have all but decided on a RAV-4. Here's what I like better about the RAV-4:

standard rear privacy glass
standard center console
standard digital outside temperature gage

The CRV only has those things in their more expensive models. The RAV-4 is bigger and has better gas mileage and has an optional 3rd row. The CRV did get a 5 star rear impact crash rating while the RAV-4 got a 4. They both got 5s on front and side. I do like the center LATCH option on the CRV but it uses one of the outboard LATCH positions so it's off center and would kind of take up two seating positions in the back seat. Doesn't seem very practical. I had a 07 RAV-4 rental and I couldn't get a good install with center seat belt but now I know I needed to twist the belt stalk.

I much prefer the hatch back of the CRV but you seem to get so much more for your money with the RAV-4 I think that's what we'll get. Maybe if I can find a used 07 Santa Fe I might consider that but I wouldn't buy a new Hyundai.

Keep me posted on what you choose cause my mind still isn't made up.

(I was the unregistered poster, now I'm registered). I will keep you posted. I think I'm leaning toward the RAV... for me, some of the options I like better are auto dual interior climate control and power seats. These aren't available on the Honda at all, except on the 2008 EX-L.

brightredmtn

(I was the unregistered poster, now I'm registered). I will keep you posted. I think I'm leaning toward the RAV... for me, some of the options I like better are auto dual interior climate control and power seats. These aren't available on the Honda at all, except on the 2008 EX-L.

I had a Corolla that was stolen in August. In new car shopping I was reminded why I bought the Corolla over the Civic. With a Toyota you can get options with a lower model where as a Honda the only way to get some things like a moon roof or auto dual interior climate control and power seats like you mentioned is if you buy the most expensive one. That's just not in my budget, and if I am going to spend over $30,000 on a car it isn't going to be a RAV-4 or CRV.

I'd love to get the RAV-4 Sport (I had a Corolla Sport) but those don't come with the 3rd row.

ymherrera

I have an 07 CRV with my DC installed in the center with latch. If you want to do an install in the center with a seatbelt you have to use the overhead belt near the tether anchor on the roof since the seatbelt isn't part of the seat (did I make any sense??) ANYWAY I love my CRV and picked it over the Rav4 and got the EX model (middle model without leather...seats would probably mess up the leather anyway) I got a great deal $25,000 out the door. I like that the RAV4 did have the 7 passenger option but then you have no trunk so I would probably never use it. The CRV has great gas mileage too, better than our '05 Scion tC.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC