Guess what I saw today?

sanctareparata

I was following a woman on my way home for lunch who had, in the center of her backseat, a child in a convertible carseat facing SIDEWAYS. Not lying sideways, as in tipping, but facing sideways. I suppose so the kid could look out the rear side window. The seat didn't move when she went over bumps and turned and such, so she somehow rigged it up in there to sit that way. :eek: :eek: :eek:

ADS

MomToEliEm

Very interesting. That would be interesting to get her reasoning for doing that. I have seen seats in a car sideways, but it was because the seat was not installed and there were no kids in the seat (they were just moving the seat and needed a place to put it).

canadianmom2three

I have gone to put an empty and being transported seat in the front passanger seat a couple times, then decided against it cause I felt so guilty somehow, like people might actually think I used it that way:p I can only hope it was being transported...

Momto1bigkiddo

I'm just not shocked anymore from the stories I read here (and select few that have been on the news). :( Kids riding in the trunk, on the roof, sideways, standing, it is just crazy. :mad:

It's strange you posted this, I just witnessed my first in-person display of extreme car seat misuse yesterday. We were at a red light and I glanced over and noticed in the rear center of this other car was an infant carrier car seat (aka *the bucket*) forward facing. If it's relevant, the infant that was in that seat looked to have been less than 3 months old. So I quizzed my husband, "What is wrong with that car seat? This is a test." and he said, "it's not buckled in, and it's not facing the back". :thumbsup: He was right, I had not even noticed that it wasn't buckled in, I was still just picking my jaw off the floor over it forward facing.

Now the side-facing convertible seat is a new one for me. I just don't get it. :confused: :(

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, just wow. :(

When I was out yesterday, I watched a mom & dad load a preschooler into a ff'ing car seat in the front seat, and then ended up following them out of the parking lot - MOM WAS SITTING IN THE BACK SEAT WHILE THE KID WAS IN FRONT OF AN AIRBAG!!!! :jaw: :eek: :thumbsdown: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I can only guess there was a baby in the back seat that mom wanted to sit next to? It's illegal to even have a ff'ing car seat not top tethered here in Canada, so this girl was not only in front of an airbag, but also in an improperly installed seat.

Some people just don't get it - and then there are those who don't care enough to do differently once they know better. Those are the ones that bug the heck out of me - knowing better and not doing better. :thumbsdown:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I like that law! I wonder why the U.S. hasn't done the same?? :question:

Because Canada made it the law to HAVE tether anchors in their cars about a decade before we did, so pretty much everything on the road HAS them, whereas here, a significant portion of the vehicles on the road don't have them, and to mandate that people do something that might cost them significant money is always a really shaky proposition. Maybe in another 10 years, when most of the pre-tether vehicles are off the road....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC