Cannot put kids in car seats at babies r us?

mkmama

I have a friend who's car seat shopping and was told the other day that she wasn't allowed to sit her child in the seat, even if she sat it on the ground...employee wouldn't even let her try the child in the seat while she was trying it in her car.

Is this a new policy? Last time I shopped for car seats with toddlers (which, admittedly, was about 3 years ago), they didn't give me any trouble about sitting my kids in the seats and buckling them in.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm not sure if it is a policy or something individual managers decide to "enforce."

A former neighbor of mine had the same problem at our local BRU, AND they also said she wasn't allowed to play with the adjuster for the harness because she "Might break it." :rolleyes:

YinzerMama

How strange.

If they want to have more stuff returned and then have to sell it cheap as open box, more power to them. :D

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's not the case at my BRU. I have put the seats on the floor and tried them out. Usually when an employee sees me, they've asked if I need help and sometimes they look a little nervous, but that's it. I have never seen anyone else do it, though, so maybe they're not used to it. When I have taken the seats out to my car, they've never sent an employee with me or anything, so I would certainly be able to try my kiddo in them out at the car (which I have also done).

Athena

Mine did send an employee out with me, but I installed and put my kid in too because I needed to know how long it would last height wise. However, I haven't been there for a while, so I can't say for sure things haven't changed. It wouldn't make sense, but a lot of things I've seen there didn't make sense, yet I think they were most if not all a result of poorly trained employees, not their actual policies.

Mysweethoneybee

My TRU has always been that way or at least as long as I have had kids. You can look at the seat and feel the material, but you can't take it off the shelf or put a kid in it.
I have always been jealous of people talking about trying out seats in their car at TRU because that can't happen at mine. Of course my TRU doesn't have any cool seats to try.

ks227

At our BRU if you do more than touch the seat on the shelf, an employee will come running to see if you need help (and I am perpetually depressed at the advice they give when I play dumb about car seats). I haven't asked to take a seat to my car recently, but I noticed when I went in last week that they have zip ties on all of the harnesses and buckles so that you can't adjust anything or buckle the child into the seat!

I wonder if they're trying to prevent "showrooming" - people trying out the seats at BRU but then buying elsewhere for cheaper. The local independent baby shop (the only local store carrying Radians - and charging MSRP for them) won't let customers take seats to their cars for that reason.

At Target I take seats off the shelves all the time and buckle older DD into them, and employees don't care at all.

Athena

Wow, that was the only reason I would buy a seat there, the ability to try it IRL first, whether that means trying it in my car with kid or just playing with the adjustments so I see how easy it is to use. If they've gotten rid of that, I have no reason to ever set foot in that place again. It's way more convenient to order on amazon or diapers.com and be able to try it in my car with my kid without someone breathing down my neck anyway and usually for better prices too.

1mommy

Considering that stores can't legally sell floor models it seems kinda dumb to me to prevent people from trying it out for fear of "breaking it". Also the fact that most big box stores will now match online prices "showrooming" doesn't seem like it would be a big concern. It could be a misinformed employee or just the store manager's preference (not wanting to deal with the hassle). I would call up the store and ask to speak to manager to find out if it is the employee or the store.

katymyers

Considering that stores can't legally sell floor models it seems kinda dumb to me to prevent people from trying it out for fear of "breaking it". Also the fact that most big box stores will now match online prices "showrooming" doesn't seem like it would be a big concern. It could be a misinformed employee or just the store manager's preference (not wanting to deal with the hassle). I would call up the store and ask to speak to manager to find out if it is the employee or the store.
My store sells floor models. I've heard of a lot of BRU stores selling them. Where is it illegal?

1mommy

My store sells floor models. I've heard of a lot of BRU stores selling them. Where is it illegal?

My target told me that it was illegal for them to sell floor models when I asked to try out the floor model Nextfit in my car, they looked at me like i had grown a second head but eventually allowed an employee to go out with me after consulting with a manager. Maybe it differs from store to store?

YinzerMama

I think our BRU sells floor models. There was a blue snug ride I looked at once on clearance I think was a floor model.

If you go to Target the seats have "floor model only, not for sale" labels on the covers. My brother has a friend who works there and I wanted the cover from the d/c classic marathon - I was willing to pay for it - but she said every part of the seats must be destroyed.

BRU seats as far as I know do not have these labels.

wavegal

Target marks its seats as floor models(special labels on covers), BRU doesn't seem to mark theirs and I have noticed them and BBB sell the floor model seats

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's just the manager at each store deciding what the rules should be :(. I'd be absolutely outraged if I got a manager who made us treat our seats like the zip-tied untouchables at Target and Walmart. Honestly, trying seats out prevents a lot of returns, which saves the company tons of money, so it's completely stupid for a store not to allow people to try their kids in them. I'm even irked that the marketers come in and put zip tie signs and junk all over 'my' (lol) seats, so it's not comfy for kids to try out (I cut them off at least one of the colors of floor model so parents can get a real feel for how the seat works).

/rant

Julie, the local carseat lady at my BRU (who does sell floor models, they aren't labeled not for sale like Target, I make sure people get the manuals and know they can still return it like any other merchandise, too).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC