Graco Contender for twins in Elantra (was:Elizabeth C.)

U

Unregistered

ive found and fallen in-love with the new 2014 Graco Contender 65, i had e-mailed Graco about this car seat as i can only buy it from wal-mart, you cant even buy it directly from Graco which made me wonder if it was discontinued or something-- Graco responded saying it was a new/2014 product and that other stors have not picked it up yet... but another question i had about it was if it would fit properly and comfortably into a small car "rear facing"?? i have twins and a small hyundi elantra and not much fits properly let alone comfortably, i am also on a very limited income so shopping for a good convertible car seat is becoming a challenge :(

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
ive found and fallen in-love with the new 2014 Graco Contender 65, i had e-mailed Graco about this car seat as i can only buy it from wal-mart, you cant even buy it directly from Graco which made me wonder if it was discontinued or something-- Graco responded saying it was a new/2014 product and that other stors have not picked it up yet... but another question i had about it was if it would fit properly and comfortably into a small car "rear facing"?? i have twins and a small hyundi elantra and not much fits properly let alone comfortably, i am also on a very limited income so shopping for a good convertible car seat is becoming a challenge :(

Thanks for bringing the info about the seat here! I hadn't heard of it yet! I hope someone here will have more info about it. :)

Until someone has more info, my best guess, after looking at it on Walmart's website (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Graco-Contender-65-Convertible-Car-Seat-Black-Carbon/33396182) and looking at the convertibles available from Graco (http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/convertible-car-seats.aspx), is that it looks like an updated version of the MySize70/Size4Me/Headwise, with a rear-facing foot. So maybe looking into how those seats fit into cars might give a general idea of how the Contender would fit in your car. This blog post has a guide of how much room rear-facing seats take up; it could differ depending on vehicle, but it might give you a good idea for the Contender based on the Headwise, plus suggestions for other convertibles that may work in your vehicle: http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

I forget the reason for the changes, but I guess some seats that currently have 70 pound limits are going to 65 pound limits for the 2014 model year (for instance, I think Britax will be doing that with its convertibles), so I think that might be why it has a 65 pound forward-facing weight limit compared to the 70 pound limit of the other Graco models that look similar to it. :)

MommyShannon

Yes, the Contender is the Walmart version of the Graco Headwise/MySize/Size4Me/etc. It's called something different in every store. Some have more/fewer features but all have the no rethread harness and tallest rf height available. I'm not sure how they would fit. How big are your twins?

MotoMommaNH

Yes, the Contender is the Walmart version of the Graco Headwise/MySize/Size4Me/etc. It's called something different in every store. Some have more/fewer features but all have the no rethread harness and tallest rf height available. I'm not sure how they would fit. How big are your twins?

The Contender is actually the Wal-Mart version of the Transitions. It's slightly different than the clones, base, recline, features etc. Wal-Mart's version of the clones is called the Fit4Me.
Just to make it more confusing...:rolleyes:

http://carseatblog.com/24320/abc-expo-2013-graco-updates-tranzitions-65-convertible-preview/

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was hoping that Graco had abandoned the absurd name "Tranzitions" and had decided to go with a responsible name (Contender). Are they still planning to use the name Tranzitions?

I cannot stand intentionally misspelled words/names, and am actually offended that Graco would intentionally and irresponsibly surround children with yet another example of poor or incorrect usage. We expect kids to add correctly, spell correctly, and use correct grammar, but we seem to think it is acceptable to surround them with incorrect information (i.e., stores with signs that read "Ten items or less" instead of "Ten items or fewer." :mad:). Graco intentionally misspelling transitions would be analogous to them stamping their covers with "2+2=38" and "A is for banana!" It is infurating to me (but I do willingly admit that my anger over this is a bit "over the top."). :soapbox:

I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

MotoMommaNH

I was hoping that Graco had abandoned the absurd name "Tranzitions" and had decided to go with a responsible name (Contender). Are they still planning to use the name Tranzitions?

Don't know for sure...but I'm thinking Contender will be the name for it at Wal-Mart and maybe Tranzitions will be at BRU/Target or the like?

OP, as for how it fits in small cars like the Elantra - I'd guess it will fit very much like the other 'clones' mentioned. The only thing is the base doesn't have as many recline options so if you have a steeply sloping back seat it may take some finagling.

YinzerMama

I cannot stand intentionally misspelled words/names, and am actually offended that Graco would intentionally and irresponsibly surround children with yet another example of poor or incorrect usage. We expect kids to add correctly, spell correctly, and use correct grammar, but we seem to think it is acceptable to surround them with incorrect information (i.e., stores with signs that read "Ten items or less" instead of "Ten items or fewer." :mad:). Graco intentionally misspelling transitions would be analogous to them stamping their covers with "2+2=38" and "A is for banana!" It is infurating to me (but I do willingly admit that my anger over this is a bit "over the top."). :soapbox:

I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

To be fair... I don't kids give much thought to what their car seat is called much less how it is spelled LOL. In our house we use such terms as "your cow seat," "your old cow seat," "the button seat," and "the purple seat" which in car seat lingo translate to either a classic MA or a FR85 depending on which kid is using it, a classic marathon, a nextfit, and a radian. We also have a red radian which my son refers to as "Red seat, baby not in there" because for the longest time he thought the baby came in the box with the seat, because that was what was pictured on the box.

But I thought Tranzitions was a goofy name, too. :)

I'm not much of a fan of seats with pared down features especially when you can get the real deal for the same price or close to it if you shop around. The BRU version was 150 for a while recently. It would be that with the trade in event going on now or there are 15% off coupons on line you can print which bring it down a little. So unless Walmart has a cover you love I am not sure I'd see any reason to buy the pared down version.

It is a good seat for tight spaces.

I thought it was supposed to be a walmart exclusive so if the tranzitions name is nixed for them maybe it is nixed all together? I could be wrong about that though.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
To be fair... I don't kids give much thought to what their car seat is called much less how it is spelled LOL. .

But they can see the box, the manual, and the tags, all of which have the name misspelled. :mad: While a small infant won't understand the spelling, an older child (and older siblings) will. I just think it is irresponsible.

I played with the Contender at Walmart a few days ago and thought it is fine. While it is very similar to the "clones" seats, it actually reminded me a little bit of the Encore and Ovation seats from years and years ago. I'm not sure why it reminded me of those seats, but it did. :eek: I would definitely recommend the Contender as an option for most children; it seemed to be a decent seat that would last kids a long time, be easy to install, and be easy to use.

YinzerMama

I wonder if they changed the name due to confusion with the glasses of the same name? They probably had to make the spelling goofy because of that, and then maybe they later thought eh, let's just give it a different name.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC