Question Tether for 99 Isuzu Rodeo

bethb1003

My DD is 30 lbs. I do plan on waiting until the 35 rear facing limit her seat has (unless she hits the height limit first, which is possible because she looks to only have 2 inches at the top but I haven't gotten the ruler out yet) but I want to go ahead and see if I can get the top tether to install so we are ready when we have to turn her. Where can I find that part number? I know that I do not have the lower anchors but have read that I may be able to buy the top tether.
Also, I wonder if I will have to move her to one of the sides once I do turn her and if so, which side is safer?
I have a 99 Isuzu Rodeo.
I am having trouble finding an Isuzu dealer in my area.

Also, I am looking at possibly getting her a new seat with better head support once I do turn her, preferably one that can go all the way to backless booster. My SIL has the Baby Trend Hybrid and recommends it. Opinions? Is there something similar that is safer? I need it to stay under $100 preferably. In our current situation, we cannot really afford it and SIL's are wanting to pay for it so I want to stay in that budget.
Thank you

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Welcome to car-seat.org! :D Good idea to plan ahead for top tethering when your DD turns forward facing. The LATCH manual indicates Isuzu phased out its passenger vehicle lineup and dealerships in the U.S. several models years ago and Isuzu last provided LATCH/top tether anchor info. to the LATCH manual editors in 2011. There's a chance that top tether anchor parts info./availability has changed since then, but here's what's listed for the 1998-2000 Rodeo 5-passenger models and some contact info. for Isuzu to help you try to track down the parts:

The 2013 LATCH manual edition lists the 1998-2000 Rodeo 5-passenger model as retrofittable with up to 3 top tether anchors, one for each rear seating position. There are three 8 mm weld nuts on the cargo floor, and the tether anchor retrofit part number is 8-97135-900-0. The LATCH manual also indicates Isuzu calls the tether anchor kit a "Child Seat Anchor Kit," and that there might be additional info. in the vehicle owner's manual. Isuzu doesn't have a free tether anchor retrofit program so you'll need to inquire about the cost for the parts and any labor involved. The LATCH manual lists a U.S. 1-800 number for Isuzu owners, tel. 1-800-255-6727, and there's a website which has an online locator for Isuzu service facilities where you can input your zip code at http://www.isuzu.com/home.jsp. Hopefully you can verify retrofit part info. and find sources for the parts for your Rodeo through that online service locator and/or by calling the 1-800 number.

Ideally you could install FF and use the retrofitted top tether in the center, provided that you can achieve a proper forward facing install there. If you ever need to install outboard instead of the center, either side is about equal in terms of side impact crash statistical frequency and you could opt for whichever side is more workable for your family. If you parallel park curbside and/or do curbside daycare/school dropoffs and pickups, for example, then the passenger side might be preferable over the driver's side.

MommyShannon

For seat recommendations, it'd help to know her age and height to get an idea of what she will need. I know it will be different when she does turn, but it's a good starting point. Also, what seat is she out growing?

bethb1003

Thanks!! I have been googling and haven't found any service centers here and somehow never found that locator when I went to the site. I think my lack of sleep lately is catching up to me, lol. I found a service center here so I will call them tomorrow. I also searched that part on an isuzu parts site and it comes up at $14 and some change but it says seat belt bracket instead of the "child seat anchor kit." I'm wondering if they just have it listed wrong or what. I will see what the service center says tomorrow. Is it ok for DH to install this or is it something I need to have done by them?

DD is 21 months in about a week, 30 lb and 33". She is currently in an Evenflo convertible car seat... I'm going to be completely honest. I don't know the model. When I was 6.5 months pregnant, we had both been laid off and ended up having to take the free car seat from the state. (we are not in this situation anymore but we are on a very tight budget) My manuals don't say a model.... In my online search, it looks exactly like the tribute (no sport or anything) but they all say 40 ff limit and mine has a 50 ff limit so I'm not sure.
I am looking at some of my pics and I really think she only has 2 inches up top which leaves 1 until I have to turn her, correct? I am going to measure the distance she has to the top next time we're in there but I'm not sure when that will be. She is sick and I don't like to take her out when she's contagious unless I absolutely have to. Since I work from home, I don't see that being for a few days at least. I'm hoping we have at least 6 more months.

MommyShannon

Sometimes that last inch can last awhile. If she outgrows it soon, I would probably get an Evenflo SureRide. It's a convertible, but also taller forward facing than all the available combo seats besides the Britax Frontier and Pinnacle but can be found for $70-$80 normally. It goes to 40" and 40lbs rearfacing and 65lbs forward so you could definitely stay rf to age 3 or 4 then use it forward for a long time. Most kids aren't mature enough for a booster until 5 or 6 years old at which point you can buy a dedicated booster for $30-$50. I don't know anything about the BabyTrend. Popular FF only, harness to booster seats, are the Maestro (50lb limit), Evenflo SecureKid (65lbs), Harmony Defender (65lbs), and Nautilus.

bethb1003

Thank you. I was able to get in touch with an Isuzu place after a lot of calls. He had no idea what I was talking about but was able to pull up the part # and order
Thank you for the recommendations. I am looking at all of these seats.

C

Concerned Mama

Hi!!! I know this is a REALLY old thread!!! But do you happen to remember the info on the 99 rodeo parts? I also have a 99 rodeo and have an 8 month old. (he won't be front facing for a while, but I imagine this will take some time.) If you do and could pass that information on to me, I would appreciate it sooo much!!! Thank you either way 😊

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there. :)

Did you call Isuzu with the information above? It has not changed. The only question is if they have parts available or not.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC