Booster seat v.s. harnessed and age

Digrr

Hello!

My daughter will be 8 in April. She weighs 44 pounds. She is currently in Sunshine Kids Radian XT which goes up to 60 pounds. We're in Alberta, Canada. Once she's 8, do I keep her in the Sunshine kids until she grows out of it in height (shoulders get reach the head protectors), or do I put her in a high back booster or are there no real regulations?

Thanks!

Erin

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Alberta doesn't have much for regulations. It's up to you if you would like to keep harnessing her if she still fits or move her to a booster. At almost 8, barring any special needs, she's safe in a booster now.

Your Radian should go to 65# but she'll likely outgrow it by height first.

Alison's Mom

My kids are also small for their ages, so I didn't have them ride in their Radians to the max weight or even height. I moved my daughter into a high back booster at 8 and 45 pounds, and my son at 7 and 43 pounds.

It was partly for social reasons, as in their friends are all in no back boosters, or just seat belt (my daughter is now 9 and her friends are turning 10), and also for practicality - if someone else needs to drive them, it's just easier to hand them the booster rather than a 5pt harness seat that needs to be installed and tethered.

Adventuredad

It's irrelevant if your child is forward facing in a harnessed seat or in a high back booster at this age. A harnessed FF seat is not any safer than a high back booster seat at age 4+. There is no data, stats, research or real life experiences supporting this US myth.

At age 8 she is likely safest in a low back booster according to research by Jacobsson and Arbogast. Not really anything surprising about this reaserach.

MotoMommaNH

Is there a dedicated headrest in that position and a lap/shoulder belt? If not, can you move her to one there is?

All those things being equal, she's very safe in either a HBB or NBB.

canadiangie

Hi Erin,

Good job harnessing until at least 40 pounds. A 5 point harness is required in Alberta until 40 pounds or age 6, whichever comes first. At this point, a well fitting high back booster seat would be a great choice. Most highback booster seats sold in Canada also convert to a backless booster, so your next seat purchase will also be your last, which is nice. :)

You could look at the Britax Parkway SG or SGL, Graco Turbobooster, Diono Monterey (requires a head rest behind it), and the Clek Oobr. All tend to position a lap/shoulder belt nicely.

If you post back what vehicle you have we might be able to narrow things down.

For now, do you have the SafeStop removed from her Radian harness, and are her shoulders still below the top harness slots?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC