Question Ford Ranger jump seat

U

Unregistered

I'm having an issue trying to find any real information on the car seat and jump seats....my husband has a 1997 Ford Ranger and he wants to take the girls places when I have the car. I told him no but he is persistent on asking me....is it illegal? Btw my girls are 21 months and 10 months.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Are the jump seats forward facing, or side facing? No child seat manufacturer allows any of their seats to be installed on a side facing vehicle seat.

Last edited:

aporthole

There are no car seats that can be installed on side facing seats, so in that vehicle the only way to transport them would be in the front with the passenger side air bag turned off with the key. I have no idea if 2 seats side by side rear facing would even fit in the front though so it may be physically impossible for both of them to be in the truck at the same time.

U

Unregistered

I’ve done it before with my 88 ranger. So what if their sideways? They’re in a car seat and secured. I had no issues with it and would do it again

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I’ve done it before with my 88 ranger. So what if their sideways? They’re in a car seat and secured. I had no issues with it and would do it again

Because 100% of carseat manufacturers have either not tested it (so your kids are playing the role of crash test dummy to find out what happens), or they've tested it and it's failed.

It's your choice to make, of course, as a parent. Most parents would choose to not do it knowing it's their children's lives at stake. But of course, you're most welcome to make that choice.

In a proper use state, since it's against the manual, it's also illegal and you could be pulled over and ticketed.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC